Budget Estimate

Philosomanic

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I'm looking for a rough estimate (nearest $50-100) of how much it would cost to build a new computer for gaming.

I'm currently using an old budget laptop. It runs LOTRO just fine (25-30 FPS on low settings), but I started up SWTOR yesterday and got horrible results. On all minimum settings, I was getting 1-1.5 FPS. I'm willing to deal with minimum settings and a low framerate (I play RIFT at ~10 FPS), but that low is simply unplayable. Rather than attempt to upgrade my crappy lappy, I'd like to get a basic gaming desktop.

This computer will be primarily for gaming. I'd like to be able to play SWTOR on medium settings and get more than 20 FPS. Although I'll need a fast hard drive (obviously), a large one isn't important to me. My laptop will work just fine for everything else; this computer will be for gaming only.

So I'm not looking for anything extremely powerful, just enough to get the job done. I'm on a tight budget right now, so price is my biggest concern. However, the ability to upgrade is also important to me, because I'm going to be saving up and upgrading frequently. I already have a mouse, monitor, keyboard, and speakers that will work, so only look at the cost of the tower.

I'm not asking for a specific build, just a rough estimate of cost. About how much would I be paying for a computer like that if I assemble it myself? About how much would a prebuilt system cost?

Thanks in advance.

You can build a very effective gaming computer for around $700 , not including monitor, keyboard speakers and operating system . So probably $1000 all inclusive

On an budget you can do it at about $550 + the peripherals and OS

Its even possible to go cheaper , but you start having to compromise quality and the ability to upgrade

Philosomanic

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Okay, thanks guys. That was all I was really looking for.

It appears that this will actually be something that's within budget for me. I'll be asking for a new build (with the form and everything) pretty soon.

This will be my first computer I've built, and I'm really looking forward to it. I just had no idea how much it was going to cost.

TRENDING THREADS