[SOLVED] Budget fans, motherboard connection or molex?

Jun 2, 2020
Hello all,

Recently took on a project to make a budget but aesthetically pleasing build. I picked up some white fans from amazon and just wondering if I should connect these directly to the mobo with a 3pin or molex? I understand that connecting it to the motherboard will allow me to control rpm's and such. But I was planning to use both connections when I thought to myself, "is it an either or?" Do I have to pick either 3pin or molex? or can I connect the fans to both molex and to the motherboard with a 3pin? I kind of had a brainfart and need a little guidance. Not sure if these fans are trying to give me the option to pick from the two types of connectors or are telling me to use both connections.
Thanks!

The fans can be found on amazon, they are called "Up Here" fans, they aren't the RGB ones that come with a hub, just white LED fans for a white themed build. They carry a 3pin and molex connection.

Last edited:
Solution
Molex your fans will run at 100% However, noctua delivers an adapter with its fan to reduce the molex power. So Changing the speed is possible.
NA-SRC7-th.jpg

I would always prefer the Motherboard pins. If there are not enough connectors on the Motherboard, you can get an y cable to connect 2 fans on 1 Pin at 50% power each. The airflow will still be much higher and more silent than 1 fan on 100%.
31hse-G5jLL._AC_.jpg
Hello all,

Recently took on a project to make a budget but aesthetically pleasing build. I picked up some white fans from amazon and just wondering if I should connect these directly to the mobo with a 3pin or molex? I understand that connecting it to the motherboard will allow me to control rpm's and such. But I was planning to use both connections when I thought to myself, "is it an either or?" Do I have to pick either 3pin or molex? or can I connect the fans to both molex and to the motherboard with a 3pin? I kind of had a brainfart and need a little guidance. Not sure if these fans are trying to give me the option to pick from the two types of connectors or are telling me to use both connections.
Thanks!

The fans can be found on amazon, they are called "Up Here" fans, they aren't the RGB ones that come with a hub, just white LED fans for a white themed build. They carry a 3pin and molex connection.
NEVER but NEVER use both fan connectors at same time, danger of blowing up motherboard !!!!
As you said, Molex connector will not let you adjust fan speed so only thing left is 3 pin to MB. If you are connectig them to 4pin header on the MB, look in BIOS, there should be a switch between DC and PWM control, Dc is what you want with 3 pin connection.

Jun 2, 2020
NEVER but NEVER use both fan connectors at same time, danger of blowing up motherboard !!!!
As you said, Molex connector will not let you adjust fan speed so only thing left is 3 pin to MB. If you are connectig them to 4pin header on the MB, look in BIOS, there should be a switch between DC and PWM control, Dc is what you want with 3 pin connection.
Life saver dude!
I appreciate it man. Will connect to motherboard and look for DC.

popatim

Titan
upHere White Computer Case Fan 120mm
LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators Ultra Quiet, Premium Edition,3 Pin 3 Pack/W12CM3-3

It says the molex converts the 3 pin so its an either/or.
With Molex they will run at 100% speed and with the 3 pin connected to your motherbd, the LEDS should turn off then they stop or spin too slow (watch/adjust your fan settings in your bios)

Reactions: Spaces-

Herr B

Commendable
May 29, 2020
Molex your fans will run at 100% However, noctua delivers an adapter with its fan to reduce the molex power. So Changing the speed is possible.
NA-SRC7-th.jpg

I would always prefer the Motherboard pins. If there are not enough connectors on the Motherboard, you can get an y cable to connect 2 fans on 1 Pin at 50% power each. The airflow will still be much higher and more silent than 1 fan on 100%.
31hse-G5jLL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS