Budget Gaming Build- First Timer Here, take two!

danofmacs

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Hello Tom's Hardware! A few months ago I posted a thread about putting together a PC for games on a budget ( about $550). I have taken some time to think about this, and I've decided on the following components, here's the link to the pc part picker page:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/uOz4

I've read several threads where there is debate over whether an i3 2100 is good enough for playing games like Battlefield 3 and etc. I know that the 3220, which is what I'm using for this build, isn't a quad core i5 or i7, but from what I've gathered, it WILL get the job done. I know that it probably won't perform amazingly on 64-player lobbies, but I'm an a rather tight budget and I WILL be upgrading to an i5 (or maybe an i7 :sol: ) within a year. I'd much rather pull the trigger with what I can afford NOW than keep on waiting because console gaming is killing me, lolol!

Another one of my concerns is the PSU. I've made my choice based on some suggestions and this list. It seems like a fairly decent PSU, but from what I've read it really only produces about 408W. Given that I'm on a budget ($550), I'm reluctant to spend more that I can, but I don't want my investment to get fried because of a faulty PSU. If this one isn't any good, can someone suggest one that is "good and cheap"? If you know what I'm getting at.

Thank you VERY much (in advanced) for your help people! I've REALLY come to love (from like) Tom's Hardware :love:

Emelth

Distinguished
I would switch to an H77 or even a B75 motherboard not saying anything bad about the one you picked its just that these ones are newer and u can find one for around the same price and this issue may occur:

"Potential Issues/Incompatibilities

Some Intel H61 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Ivy Bridge CPUs.

which means you would need to hookup another CPU that will work with the mobo before even being able to put ur new one in it

everything else looks good

danofmacs

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Thank you for your quick reply, Emelth! I've changed the motherboard and now it's telling me that there is a minor issue. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcOL

"ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard has an onboard USB 3.0 header, but the NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case does not have front panel USB 3.0 ports."

It doesn't sound serious to me, though.

Emelth

Distinguished

yep as the person stated above that wont matter its just a case that doesnt have a USB 3.0 on the front

danofmacs

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Awesome! I'm glad that it's not really an issue I need to worry about then!!

Also, can anyone suggest another graphics card that will get me some more performance for $20-$30 more? I guess it's appropriate to go for this because it's a fresh, new build and I'm just looking to get myself something that's gonna run nice with an i5 in the future. GeForce or Radeon HD are fine, maybe a GeForce though because I've read they have less troublesome drivers? :D

Emelth

Distinguished
If you look around some more there are always deals coming and going so prices are going to bouncing all over on almost everything, if you got a MicroCenter near you let us know this is very important. Also post an updated list of the parts your getting

danofmacs

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Emelth, I DO have a Microcenter near me, about an hour away, but I don't have a car and I can't find anyone who is willing to drive me (I didn't think about bribing them with gas money till NOW though, LOL!)

For now, everything is still pretty much the same, except for the fact that I REALLY dig that MSI 7850 that cball1311 suggested!!
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vcOL

Kamen_BG

Distinguished
Look you made some really really drastic sacrifices in order to get the PC below 540 dolars.
I'm sure you can afford to spend a bit more and get a much much better PC.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($171.97 @ Newegg)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Green 630W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($50.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $572.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-02 11:32 EST-0500)

What's the point in buying a Core i3 and PLANNING to spent another 160$ later just to get a Core i5?And what's with the 500GB hard drive?

danofmacs

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
THAT... THAT is an Ivy Bridge i5?!?!?!?

I went with the 500 GB Western Digital because it seems to have better reviews than the Seagate 500 does, but 1.5 TB for $70... now that's HARD to beat. Also, I chose that particular HDD to save a couple of bucks.

That's a sexy build, AND it's under $600. How did you do that, Kamen??? Also, how did you lay out the parts so nicely on your reply? :D

OH! And just to add to the info I've provided, I DO already have the OS. It's installed on my MacBook Pro... ask my mindset in late 2010.

danofmacs

Honorable
Sep 9, 2012
Got it! Thanks, cball1311! I just wish I could order that i5 processor off NCIX right now, but I can't since it's back ordered... It's at such a GOOD price right now!!!