Budget gaming pc

poisontoo

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.70 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $463.64
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I need some feedback on you guys regarding my build here and is there any better motherboard that could get with about the same spec but at a lower price. In the future i might need to overclock, would i be good ? or should i add another component such as cooling and such ?

I mostly gonna use the pc for gaming and in exact dota 2.

Solution
That's OK for under $500. Be better if you could choose a better power supply per http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

The CX500 (and 600) have had a lot of problems reported here eg Porr voltage control (cheap capacitors) and poorly moulded 24 pin mobo connectors

For a pc with a R7 260x you need a 450W min psu. Try a Seasonic 520, XFX 550 or Antec HCG 520M

Also you shouldn't try to overclock the fx6300 on that motherboard. If you want to overclock, then get a 990fx chipset mobo eg ASRock 990fx Extreme 4
That's OK for under $500. Be better if you could choose a better power supply per http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1804779/power-supply-unit-tier-list.html

The CX500 (and 600) have had a lot of problems reported here eg Porr voltage control (cheap capacitors) and poorly moulded 24 pin mobo connectors

For a pc with a R7 260x you need a 450W min psu. Try a Seasonic 520, XFX 550 or Antec HCG 520M

Also you shouldn't try to overclock the fx6300 on that motherboard. If you want to overclock, then get a 990fx chipset mobo eg ASRock 990fx Extreme 4

Solution

UvovSimon

Reputable
May 22, 2014
I agree the fact that games usually run faster on single threaded performance and that you're putting more money into the cpu than the gpu, which could be better or worse depending on what you choose and what you else you do with the pc.

Personally i think you could spend a little more on graphics over cpu, since as said before the 6 cores wouldn't do much for game is really wasted money. You could get a cheaper amd cpu (quad core) and use that additional saving to boost your graphics (idk the price in your region, and it might not even save enough to upgrade to a slightly better card). I think that an i3 isn't very necessary since it's more costly and wouldn't do much in game (unless your game is very cpu intensive, which would bottleneck your better gpu.

Honestly, I can't decide for you, but I would go for a better gpu (make sure you check the voltage and stuff it needs)

Crazy_Ivan55

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2011
I have that motherboard and it's good, also about the i3 he forgot to say that some games will have issues with dual cores such as BF3 where characters will disappear on 2 cores vs 3 or more. They are also not good overclockers compared to the FX series. To overclock an i3 you also need a more expensive motherboard.

On the other hand, I'm assuming you will be upgrading later on so if you go LGA 1155 and H97 or Z97 you won't have to upgrade your motherboard to get a faster CPU. I made the mistake of getting the FX over an i5 because now I have to buy a new motherboard as well and I can't overclock a lot because the 8 core FX's are huge power hog's.

UvovSimon

Reputable
May 22, 2014

At this moment, i think it's price that matters right now, but either one is fine (amd stuff are pretty cheap for their performance regardless)

EDIT: I would go r9, because in my region it's only a $10 difference and it's really worth, price to performance wise for me ($179 and $189 here lol)

EDIT2: CPU change isn't going to make your game run faster (majority of games) and the fact that it's a quad core that is cheaper will make it more compatible with the programs out there (based on quad core processors). It seems like it's a tight budget and assumed for only gaming, it will do the job. It's true that an i3 might be upgradeable, but it's a gaming pc, which is focused on graphics cards, which cpu doesn't have much influence over and really pointless to upgrade an cpu for an gaming pc. (different story entirely if enthusiast-oriented.)