Budget gaming pc

Solution
Depends how old exactly but any i5 from 3rd generation upwards will perform much better than the A-Series both in Single core performance and in Multi core. It and a HD 7970 should be a fairly kickass build today indeed despite the age.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
No, grab a Pentium G4560. It competes with the 6 Core FX CPUs and destroys them in Single-Core performance all cheap as well. They also allow future upgrade paths to i5's and i7's should he have more money later. No point buying an FX or A series CPU now it's a weaker and dead socket. I suggest you wait for Ryzen 5 in a few weeks and see what that has to offer before touching the CPU.

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
The APU is irrelevant once you have a dedicated GPU they can't run together like SLI or CrossFire. They can be used in AMD "Multi-GPU" (Don't mistake this for CrossFire) but it only works with the older generation of AMD GPUs and offers little performance gains anyway. Not sure where you get your prices but the Pentium G4560 is $59 in U.S.A and only $75 here in Australia.

*Edit* Haha Sizzling these copycat responses within a few seconds :p

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Depends how old exactly but any i5 from 3rd generation upwards will perform much better than the A-Series both in Single core performance and in Multi core. It and a HD 7970 should be a fairly kickass build today indeed despite the age.

Solution

need4speeds

Distinguished
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock B250M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: ADATA XPG Z1 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2800 Memory ($56.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.77 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Zalman T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($19.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Zalman 500W ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $396.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-31 10:04 EDT-0400

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador

I think this is well out of the price range he is looking at (hence older parts) but regardless, that Case/Power Supply is very cheap and sketchy i wouldn't trust by build with that Power Supply.

*Edited* Apologies, i didn't realise how cheap that 1050 Ti was. That is indeed a good deal.