pimpd654

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Hey Guys,

Looking to build a new pc very soon. I know there are many budget gaming builds on the forum but CS:S doesn't require as much GPU power so I was wondering what would be suitable for me.

Approximate Purchase Date: This week.

Budget Range: 800-1000 After Rebates (Cheaper if possible)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming - Counter Strike: Source primarily (95% of the time), Surfing the Net

Parts Not Required: Speakers, Mouse, Mousepad, Keyboard

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: mATX board + Intel CPU, 1TB HDD, Windows 7 64bit

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1280x1024 for gaming, Widescreen for movies/internet.

Additional Comments: Want a small/simple/light case that is also quiet. Also, I may need a wireless adapter so if anyone knows what is good, please post that too.

Would appreciate any input.

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
If you are not planning to change your monitor and play to a higher resolution one (1920x1080), you don't even need such a powerful pc. Take the AMD Phenom II X4 995, which is a pretty value product, get a GPU like 550ti or 6850 and turn every filter on! You won't notice any difference between AMD and Intel as the whole work drops to GPU...If you plan to change then yes go for a more powerful pc!

Plus you will save a serious amount of money!

At that resolution. A 6850 could max out at CSS easily. I run 1680x1050 at max with all the extras with room to spare. 100+ FPS with a 5850. So... With that said.

Check out the $550 build in my siggy. The 6790 would be sufficient. Or if you plan to upgrade resolutions 6850. Oh also upgrade to the i5 2400. It'd last you a long time and is a solid upgrade for $70.
It should total to around $620 in the end.
http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore