[SOLVED] Budget graphics card for 2 monitors

rubez

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I need a cheap graphics card that has two HDMIs for 2 monitors. I want to duplicate the desktop not extend them like one big monitor.

I have 8 GB ram in the PC I don't know if that is enough or relevant.

I wont be playing games so it doesn't need to be powerful but I want something that is hassle free on windows 10.

Any recommendations or advice?

The motherboard is Gigabyte Z97 MX.

Solution
Once you connect both monitors, right click on the desktop and select display settings.
There, you will have the option to duplicate the displays, or more commonly extend them.
You should be able to use the integrated graphics adapter that comes with your cpu and motherboard.
Connect one display directly with hdmi cable.
On the other, use a dvi-d to hdmi adapter or cable like this...

rubez

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
No but only extend was available as an option not duplicate I think.

I think I forced it somehow after an hour of messing around but I ended up with 3 monitors on the display settings somehow and it never worked properly. Just a major headache..... this was years ago. if I can get away with just buying a cable that will do but I want it to work.

Is it only gaming cards that have 2 HDMIs?

Last edited:

rubez

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
I will try another DVI cable.

Any reason why duplicate wouldn't work if they are both coming from the motherboard?

motherboard HDMI to HDMI monitor
motherboard DVI to HDMI monitor

InvalidError

Titan
Any reason why duplicate wouldn't work if they are both coming from the motherboard?
Intel's IGPs have supported dual monitors since the days when the IGP was integrated in the chipset instead of the CPU, it shouldn't be an issue with anything from the last 10 years.

Since you wrote that you could extend, I would just do that and verify that it works. If it does, your problem has absolutely nothing to do with cables or ports.

Once you connect both monitors, right click on the desktop and select display settings.
There, you will have the option to duplicate the displays, or more commonly extend them.
You should be able to use the integrated graphics adapter that comes with your cpu and motherboard.
Connect one display directly with hdmi cable.
On the other, use a dvi-d to hdmi adapter or cable like this:

If you want sound out of the monitor, it will come from the direct hdmi connection. DVI does not transmit sound.

Solution