slogger1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
I am looking for a new rig to build. I am looking to spend about $1200 to $1500 on a new rig. I have been using AMD for a long time and it seems as though intel is the king again. So for the most part it doesn't matter to me, just want to know why one is better then the other ect.

tlmck

Distinguished
Intel Core2Duo or Quad
A P35 based MB from ASUS or Gigabyte.
2 gb PC6400 RAM from Corsair, OCZ, or Crucial.
8800GTS 640 vid card from EVGA or XFX
Seagate 7200.10 Hard drive. Size is your choice.
Optical drive and case are your choice as well.

550w-650w Power Supply from this list(Tier 3 or above). http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088. Corsair VX series also acceptable.

As to why one processor is better than the other read Tom's CPU charts. http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=946&model2=882&chart=419

Sure Intel has the fastest chips atm, like always this will go back and forth. Both chip makers are working diligently to bring better products to the table so expect this to go back and forth.

As far as the best system to build, you can get faster systems going the Intel route but AMD makes perfectly fine gaming systems and you wont be disappointed either way. I have AMD and I love it.

Do what makes sense for you with your budget and the brand you feel best serves your current purpose. If your like the rest of us you will be changing and upgrading long before your wear out the components only to get newer and faster products anyway.

I don't know what kind of system you are currently using but if you want my honest opinion I would wait for about 6-8 months and see what some of these new chips will offer and see if it brings the prices down on the current chips to give you a better system for the money.

I only say this due to the fact that both brands are due new releases of their new generation chips and you could benefit from it nicely if you can find the patience to hold off until you can see what they bring to the table...

Just my 2 cents.