budget high wattage psu

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015
im looking for an 850w psu between 60-100 british pounds. whichever one i pick,it should power some
thing like two 780TIs, a ryzen 1600x , 2 hard drives, single SSD, 2 4gb dimms, and all the peripherals you would expect. Thanks.

Solution
sli is a pita, it used to be cool, that changed after the 980ti tht made sli setups a bad idea, also the rise of great itx and microatx mainboard for a single gpu only makes a 2 gpu setup a no go

single gpu is the way to go now

now, the budget is what dictates your path

if your budget is limited, then by no means buy a 780ti thinking on buying another later in the first place

a 780ti and a 1060 6gbs are basically the same but the second is cheaper and uses like 150 watts more or less, if you can't live with this gpu 780ti, for some months, when the second arrives your experience will not improve drastically in most games, because most games will not support the second gpu so it will not be used, other games will show stutter and...

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
for that a 1000 watt is required

no cheap psus

780, each one will use more than 300 watts, and the cpu overclocked, we are talking abut more than 800 watts, add the rest of the parts and you can use up to 900+ easily

if you are on a budget i would sell those two 780ti and buy a single gpu, a 1060 or a 1070, that will do the same and will eat less than half than those two old gpus, less power, less noise and better performance with less problems

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

I think 850watts would be plenty. But I do agree it would be better to sell the 780 ti's and get a single card like a 1070 if you can afford it.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/gtx-780-ti-sli-geforce-review,4.html

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
sell two 780 should give some money to get at least a 1060, paired with a ryzen should offer great results

now, if the target is play at higher resolutions then the 1070 is required

also in sli those 780 will only have 3 gbs of vram, that is well, basically a 1060 3gbs model but with less power consumption doing the same or perhaps 30 to 50 percent more in very few games

that is for me a 1060 or a 1070

those 780 to keep up surely will have to b overclocked, so the 300 watts consumption will go to 350 or 400 watts, the ryzen overlcokcekt goes to 200 more or less, the 850 watts, is small, will run fully loaded doing noise and will be required a really good quality psu to handle that hardware

the 1070 and a decent 550 watts psu sounds like a better and more definitive solution to me

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

. while i cannot agree with your power usage estimate(Neither can coolermasters psu calculator) your points on less noise and power are valid. the problem is im on an even tighter budget than you think, i dont have any of the parts yet. i will not be buying the two gpus at once , it will be months before i manage to get the other one making a 1070 a tough buy for me. Also the 1060 delivers significantly lesser performance. there is also the deal that having SLI makes you instantly cooler ( all hail gaben)
thanks for the reply

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
A 1060 delivers less performance than a 780 ti sli setup in games with good sli support which there seem to be less and less of every year. A 1060 would destroy a 780 ti in games without sli support or with terribly implemented sli support.

I had an sli 760 system before I upgraded to what I have now, back when many new games had decent sli support and it was still nothing but headaches. I would never build an sli rig again after that experience. I will admit that having two gpus in a system looks cool lol but in my opinion its not worth the hassle.

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

you are right, a single gpu setup is the better option in games with bad sli support and sadly sli is going out of fashion as ive already stated im on a tight budget( im fouteeen i get pocket money dont judge) in a year i can stack up 240 pounds which is barely enough for a 1060 and by then we would see the 1100 series putting me in a horrible situation. and so i petty much have no compelling options.

bignastyid

Titan
Get a RX 580 instead of the 780Ti. It'll atleast support crossfire if you want to add a 2nd card later(the 1060 doesn't support SLI). As for the 850w PSU here's my recommendations.
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/7Dx9TW,j7PzK8,Bn3RsY/

atljsf

Honorable
BANNED
sli is a pita, it used to be cool, that changed after the 980ti tht made sli setups a bad idea, also the rise of great itx and microatx mainboard for a single gpu only makes a 2 gpu setup a no go

single gpu is the way to go now

now, the budget is what dictates your path

if your budget is limited, then by no means buy a 780ti thinking on buying another later in the first place

a 780ti and a 1060 6gbs are basically the same but the second is cheaper and uses like 150 watts more or less, if you can't live with this gpu 780ti, for some months, when the second arrives your experience will not improve drastically in most games, because most games will not support the second gpu so it will not be used, other games will show stutter and weird errors in image, few games are friendly with sli this days

the wisest choice is buy the 1070 or a 1060 and have a clear upgrade path buying parts in a budget, doing more savings thinking on a future new gpu and extra parts

you will not be happy with the second hand 780ti, surely a single fan model, add another and you will have two turbines in your case, add the noise from the psu and the rest of the fans, and you are digging your own grave there, noise and heat will kill your gaming experience

the psu calculator in some pages is not really precise or consider the overclocking a bit too kindly, or overoptimistic or overpessimistic or outdated

also remember that your first question was budget, a budget unit fully loaded is not ideal under any circumstance, noise and heat is the result of this setup and a 850 watts psu is around 120 dollars

the 2 780 ti, the psu, the new ryzen platform and the case with lots of fans, you are not getting a cheap great gaming pc there i think

my recommendation is

2x4 gbs ram, a b350 mainboard, a r5 1600 and a 1060 6gbs using a 550watts psu

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-CX550M-BRONZE-Haswell-Modular/dp/B01B72W0A2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495897115&sr=8-1&keywords=cx550m+psu

and that one surely can be found cheaper

that is a killer setup with space to grow, alot of it

Solution

TheOcelotGamer

Honorable
Dec 31, 2015

thanks , ill do some research on crossfire scaling but i might go with a single gpu

Latest posts