[SOLVED] Budget Laptop for Home/Business

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
I am looking for a good budget laptop for business and home use together.

Following are the priorities,
  1. Budget -> 400$ (Can push a little higher to 450)
  2. Display size -> 14-16"
  3. Resolution -> Full HD
  4. Battery life -> 8+ Hours
  5. Usage -> EMail, Browsing, Videos, etc (No Gaming). Onboard graphics should suffice.
  6. Storage -> 500 GB (SSD would be great to have, Can live with 250 GB)
  7. RAM -> Prefer at least 6 GB (4 might suffice)
  8. Brands -> Prefer Asus, Acer, Lenovo
  9. Purchasing in US
  10. Highly prefer one that can last long and is durable.
  11. Wouldn't mind spending upto 500$ if it is light weight with great battery life, SSD with a good display
Can wait until 1 week before Christmas. If I can potentially get better deals then.

Here is one that came up during search.

Last edited:
Solution
DON'T BUY ACER AT THIS PRICE POINT, their screens are awful until you get into the Swift and Nitro lines.

Best Buy is a good place to go touch and look at laptops.

notebookcheck.net is the best place for laptop reviews.

All your requirements are achievable within your budget. I will drop in if I see anything. Black Friday week is coming up!

Do you have any preferences on weight and thickness? For instance, while it's more than you'll ever need, this HP Gaming 15 = $450 represents a good value, but isn't exactly thin and light (.93" thick and 5lbs). But it does have a slightly higher than average backlit keyboard, screen, speakers, CPU, dGPU (Optimus switching will probably keep this off for your usage most of the...
DON'T BUY ACER AT THIS PRICE POINT, their screens are awful until you get into the Swift and Nitro lines.

Best Buy is a good place to go touch and look at laptops.

notebookcheck.net is the best place for laptop reviews.

All your requirements are achievable within your budget. I will drop in if I see anything. Black Friday week is coming up!

Do you have any preferences on weight and thickness? For instance, while it's more than you'll ever need, this HP Gaming 15 = $450 represents a good value, but isn't exactly thin and light (.93" thick and 5lbs). But it does have a slightly higher than average backlit keyboard, screen, speakers, CPU, dGPU (Optimus switching will probably keep this off for your usage most of the time), purportedly name brand albeit small 256GB capacity NVMe SSD, and cooling.

The Lenovo S340 line like this one with Ryzen 3500U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD = $390 is pretty good. I've had a couple constituents buy these and were satisfied. Screens aren't fantastic, but passable/average. (.7" and 4lbs)

Last edited:
Solution

Encryption+

Upstanding
Sep 26, 2019
Yes the Lenovo S340 is a good one around your price point. I got one for my duaghter and the screen is pretty good. My only issue with it was the mouse is a bit slow but it's still manageable.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
The Lenovo looks good. Battery is about 6 hours, which is my only concern. While I am considering this, just exploring other options.

How is this one? Any specific reason I should avoid this?
This has an IPS display. The user reviews about the display seem to be good. All other parameters that look great on paper.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36

Any choices from Asus? I have had good experience with Asus laptops

USAFRet

Titan
The Lenovo looks good. Battery is about 6 hours, which is my only concern. While I am considering this, just exploring other options.

How is this one? Any specific reason I should avoid this?
This has an IPS display. The user reviews about the display seem to be good. All other parameters that look great on paper.
https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Display-Graphics-Keyboard-A515-43-R19L/dp/B07RF1XD36

Any choices from Asus? I have had good experience with Asus laptops
4GB RAM and 128GB SSD are pretty limiting.
You really need double on both.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
4GB RAM and 128GB SSD are pretty limiting.
You really need double on both.
Reviewers have added a RAM stick and an HDD, the laptop has the facility to upgrade. If i get this, I would do the same.
Is any reason I should not be going for this Acer product.
As I have not used Acer before, also wondering what the durability is like?

Go to Best Buy (or any other brick and mortar store that stocks them or similar) and see one for yourself before you buy. I wouldn't (as stated before).

The "IPS" on laptops under $500 is usually BS. It's not what you're thinking in terms of stand-alone monitors. Doesn't matter what brand of laptop it is.

ShaQBlogs

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2016
I decided to get the Lenovo S340 - i5 version. Walmart was selling for $400. Awaiting delivery.
Thanks for the suggestions.

I will add an additional Hard Disk and maybe up the SSD from 128 to 256GB. Will Best buy exchange the 128 GB for 256 GB or would I have to get a new one?

Last edited: