[SOLVED] Budget mATX Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooOldForThis

Honorable
Oct 4, 2014
Hi folks,

I’m looking to downgrade my system and would like to move into an understated mATX case. I read good things about the Fractal Design Core 1100 and I definitely like the aesthetic. However, I then randomly came across the ionz KZ 11 and wondered what the difference in price was buying.

I plan to have a Radeon RX 580 in the case and so far as I can tell, both cases would manage that happily. I will be updating my PSU, but would prefer to avoid the cost of an SFX unit, so a case that can fit a standard ATX PSU would be useful (though maybe not essential). I’d like the case to be sturdy but light. It will likely be on the floor in a pet-heavy house, so reasonable dust protection would be a huge plus. I can transfer some fans over from my current case or buy in one or two if needed, but having them included in the case can’t be a bad thing unless the default ones are rubbish and need replaced. I don’t plan to do any overclocking, so heat management will be very much standard fare.

Does the hive mind have any recommendations that might meet these needs, or any words of warning concerning the two cases I linked above? I look forward to having your wisdom bestowed upon me!

Solution
I looked at that ionz case, unless they are not showing everything in the pictures I don't even see motherboard stand off screws or holes for them to mount the motherboard. I would avoid such cheap cases as they have issues with cooling and routing cables well to avoid poor airflow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-De...p/B072PVMWSD/ref=psdc_430498031_t2_B01550Y9GA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC...e+micro+atx&qid=1603293330&s=computers&sr=1-8

This may be OK also although I don't like small front airflow vents...
Hi folks,

I’m looking to downgrade my system and would like to move into an understated mATX case. I read good things about the Fractal Design Core 1100 and I definitely like the aesthetic. However, I then randomly came across the ionz KZ 11 and wondered what the difference in price was buying.

I plan to have a Radeon RX 580 in the case and so far as I can tell, both cases would manage that happily. I will be updating my PSU, but would prefer to avoid the cost of an SFX unit, so a case that can fit a standard ATX PSU would be useful (though maybe not essential). I’d like the case to be sturdy but light. It will likely be on the floor in a pet-heavy house, so reasonable dust protection would be a huge plus. I can transfer some fans over from my current case or buy in one or two if needed, but having them included in the case can’t be a bad thing unless the default ones are rubbish and need replaced. I don’t plan to do any overclocking, so heat management will be very much standard fare.

Does the hive mind have any recommendations that might meet these needs, or any words of warning concerning the two cases I linked above? I look forward to having your wisdom bestowed upon me!
One difference between them is weight. The smaller Fractal case (3.8 kg) is heavier leading me to believe the ionz (3.2 kg) is thinner metal since it is ATX mid-tower and core 1100 is micro ATX tower. The difference, 0.6 kg (1.3 pounds) tells something. So, you have a bigger case that weighs even less than a smaller case. hmmm...

TooOldForThis

Honorable
Oct 4, 2014
We need a budget before the recommendations can commence.

Also would be nice to know your feelings on side panel windows (acrylic or tempered glass) and RGB lights.
That makes sense! The Fractal Design case I can get for a little under £30, so unless there are really spectacular reasons to spend more, I guess that’s about my limit.

I’m not a fan of RGB or side panels, particularly. Never really understood the love they get. I’d much rather a simple, sleek aesthetic.

TooOldForThis

Honorable
Oct 4, 2014
One difference between them is weight. The smaller Fractal case (3.8 kg) is heavier leading me to believe the ionz (3.2 kg) is thinner metal since it is ATX mid-tower and core 1100 is micro ATX tower. The difference, 0.6 kg (1.3 pounds) tells something. So, you have a bigger case that weighs even less than a smaller case. hmmm...
It’s interesting that you call the ionz a mid-tower and the Fractal Design a micro ATX tower - aren’t those two different scales of measurement? The dimensions of the ionz are actually a little smaller than the Fractal Design.

FWIW, my current case is 14.35kg, so anything under 5kg is going to be a significant improvement!

It’s interesting that you call the ionz a mid-tower and the Fractal Design a micro ATX tower - aren’t those two different scales of measurement? The dimensions of the ionz are actually a little smaller than the Fractal Design.

FWIW, my current case is 14.35kg, so anything under 5kg is going to be a significant improvement!
I was looking at the expansion card slots on the back of the ionz. I saw 6 slots which generally means an ATX board will fit, making it a midtower and not an mATX case. mATX is limited to 4 slots. Also the way they list it 'ionz KZ11 PC MID TOWER BUSINESS ATX M/ATX' leads me to think it's an midtower ATX case. It's not available in the states from the research I did so info was limited somewhat. Sorry if I caused any confusion. Bottom line is the quality of Fractal cases is very high, even the lower cost models. I have a Core 1000 from an older build I still use and it's been great for a $40 case. Your 14kg case must be a monster.

Reactions: TooOldForThis

TooOldForThis

Honorable
Oct 4, 2014
I was looking at the expansion card slots on the back of the ionz. I saw 6 slots which generally means an ATX board will fit, making it a midtower and not an mATX case. mATX is limited to 4 slots. Also the way they list it 'ionz KZ11 PC MID TOWER BUSINESS ATX M/ATX' leads me to think it's an midtower ATX case. It's not available in the states from the research I did so info was limited somewhat. Sorry if I caused any confusion. Bottom line is the quality of Fractal cases is very high, even the lower cost models. I have a Core 1000 from an older build I still use and it's been great for a $40 case. Your 14kg case must be a monster.
Monster is right. It’s an old school Cooler Master HAF. Full tower beast, excellent for a roided-up gaming rig but major overkill for my current needs.

Honestly, I hear nothing but good things about Fractal Design. I guess I’m just wondering if there are additional features I should be aware of in alternative cases. Maybe it’s just time to buy the Core 1100 and be done with it.

I looked at that ionz case, unless they are not showing everything in the pictures I don't even see motherboard stand off screws or holes for them to mount the motherboard. I would avoid such cheap cases as they have issues with cooling and routing cables well to avoid poor airflow.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-De...p/B072PVMWSD/ref=psdc_430498031_t2_B01550Y9GA

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC...e+micro+atx&qid=1603293330&s=computers&sr=1-8

This may be OK also although I don't like small front airflow vents https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cougar-MG1...o+atx&qid=1603293456&s=computers&sr=1-19&th=1

Last edited:
Solution

dimtodim

Reputable
Hi folks,

check this
Thermaltake Versa H18

curley81

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Hi folks,

ive chosen this for my Matx build next year
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08D6RP...colid=1E47OEIOYGUF&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

but for a budget matx case i was looking at this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cougar-MG1...71-4fd5-8f77-1f87710ad459&pd_rd_wg=9SNKg&th=1

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS