Budget mobo. what do you think of asus NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210

MrJohnDough

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
I am building a budget computer. no games or anything. just opening files and programs fast.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131072
so what is the difference between NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S northbridge
and NVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra MCP northbridge. besides the fact that 570 has more PCI slots and many other input holes?
any difference between the two in terms of how CPU interacts with memory or loading time from hard drive?

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
No clue about the mobo, sorry. Just a quick question: is this a project you're doing to learn how to build computers? If not, why not just buy something from Circuit City or Bestbuy? It would be cheaper, easier, and it would have a warranty.

MrJohnDough

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
not it's not new project. I am building it for an old man. so he will never use SLI, WIFI or any other sophisticated features on expensive mobo.
so I found this mobo with nvidia graphics 6. I build computers before...

but I still don't know if there is a difference major difference in architecture of this motherboard and say nvidia 570 or 590. I mean will brisbane 3600 X2 work identically fast on all of those boards. will memory work identically fast on all those boards? am I paying for extra features on nvidia 570 or 590? or there is actual performance gain?

apence

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
I cannot believe no one has answered this yet, and you probably already built the system but maybe this will help someone.

You probably already know this, but the Quadro NVS 210S has integrated video. The video is Nvidia's business class graphics - not for games, but comparable to the 6100 onboard grapics chips that are in a lot of other motherboards. It was designed for and works well with Vista's new Aero Glass feature. I recently built a system with this chip (but with the MSI board) and it would work great for a home office computer - email, web, office, excel, etc. Of course, the advantage of integrated video is that it saves money. You do not need to buy a separate video card or as beefy of a power supply, and your case will not heat up as much. However, it will take some of your system memory and slow the system down a little. I opted for the MSI MB because it had heatsinks on the northbridge AND southbridge, and it had firewire. The ASUS one has the advantage of overclocking ability according to the reviews, but I was building for my Mother in Law and did not intend to overclock.

It does support dual channel, as do all AM2 boards because the memory controller is on the processor. I would imagine that the speed of this chipset as far as memory and HD access would be similar to the non-integrated Nvidia chipsets - if you did not use the integrated video. Even with the integrated video, you probably would not notice a difference while surfing the web, working on email, viewing pictures, and doing general home office stuff.

MrJohnDough

Distinguished
May 14, 2007
hi, thanks. I haven't built the system yet. the old man is still on his fishing vocation. but the last post helped a lot. I will go with 210s then. I just wanted reliable pc that's why I chose asus. I don't want any blown capacitors or anything like that. haven't had any experience with MSI. don't know much about them.

apence

Distinguished
May 19, 2007
I have used several MSI MATX boards. They have all been very stable. I am sure that ASUS would also be stable, but I was a little worried about not having a heat sink on the south bridge and reports of it being hot.