[SOLVED] Budget motherboard? - ryzen 5 5600x

Nov 20, 2020
Hi forum!

After the reveal of Zen 3 i've been wanting to upgrade my CPU to get some better performance. I'm using my PC for gaming and at the moment im having problems doing multiple things while gaming.

I play mostly CS:GO and Call of Duty: Warzone. My CPU goes to 100% when i play Warzone and all other background programs like Discord stop working on and off because of the CPU load.
I'm averaging around 70 FPS on lowest settings in warzone (I often get long freezes of around 1-2 seconds on my PC when playing warzone) and my CS:GO FPS goes down drastically when more enemies appear on the screen. I'm running a 144 hz monitor, possibly looking to upgrade to 240hz in the future for CS:GO.
Current setup:
Nvidia GTX 1060 6gb
Intel i5 7400
2x8gb DDR4 2133 mhz HyperX RAM
My question is: What budget motherboard options would you suggest for me? I'm looking to buy the Ryzen 5 5600x. I'm also looking to upgrade my RAM sticks to HyperX Fury 2x8gb DDR4 3600MHZ
And will this give a good boost in performance on my pc both FPS wise, but also background task wise?

Thank you in advance :)

Solution
Asus And Gigabyte also have B450 Beta Bios that support Ryzen 5000 CPU's.
Asus B450 Beta BIOSes (Ryzen 5000 Support) : Amd (reddit.com)
Gigabyte has released BIOS updates for (all?) B450 boards with support for Zen3 (F60) : Amd (reddit.com)

And I read a few posts from Asus B450 MB (B450-F, B450-E and B450I) owners that said the Beta BIOS was working well for them with a 5600x.

I haven't seen any X470 Beta BIOS that support Ryzen 5000 yet though.
But with Asus at least that seems to be a trend, my B450-F always gets a BIOS update before my X470-F does.
Nov 20, 2020
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Where are you located, what is your budget for a motherboard and what is your preferred site for purchase for the motherboard?

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
My budget is around 150$ or under. I'm not looking for features like WiFi and RGB but just a solid compatible motherboard. I live in Denmark where we have websites like Komplett.
My PSU is a cooler master G550M which is around 3 years old. Hope this helps 😁

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
I recomend a b450 or (if you can find a good deal on one) x470, a520 is crap since it cant oc and the only reason to get a520 for me atleast is if you want a budget itx mobo, other than that a520 is crap, just get b450 or x470, they will be much much better if you want a mobo with a decent amount of features and oc support

I recomend a b450 or (if you can find a good deal on one) x470, a520 is crap since it cant oc and the only reason to get a520 for me atleast is if you want a budget itx mobo, other than that a520 is crap, just get b450 or x470, they will be much much better if you want a mobo with a decent amount of features and oc support

As far as I know the BIOS’s for 400 series motherboards to support 5000 series CPU’s are not due until next year. You will also need a way of updating the BIOS which may require a different cpu while doing the update.

Reactions: Bronky

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
As far as I know the BIOS’s for 400 series motherboards to support 5000 series CPU’s are not due until next year. You will also need a way of updating the BIOS which may require a different cpu while doing the update.
I guess you can get the athlon 200ge as the bios updater chip? But i think spending 30-50$ to update the bios will be more worth it than getting a crappy a520 since the b450 and x470 support overclocking and have decent io and features, and if you are lucky you can get a shop to update the bios for you

Nov 20, 2020
I think i Will go for a motherboard that doesn't need a bios update like you recommended. What features do I need to look for in e.g. a b550 motherboard?

Problably just a fancy sounding bios update that supports ryzen 5000
on a B450? when AMD said a B450 AGESA wouldn't be available before 'sometime in January 2021'?

Has Asrock gone full-on Asus? (recalling here that Asus enabled PCIe gen 4 for X470 and B450 boards at the launch of Ryzen 3000...against AMD's wishes)

Is it even possible for an AGESA intended for B550 to be hacked into a B450 BIOS?

idkwhattonamethisacc

Great
BANNED
Oct 31, 2020
on a B450? when AMD said a B450 AGESA wouldn't be available before 'sometime in January 2021'?

Has Asrock gone full-on Asus? (recalling here that Asus enabled PCIe gen 4 for X470 and B450 boards at the launch of Ryzen 3000...against AMD's wishes)

Is it even possible for an AGESA intended for B550 to be hacked into a B450 BIOS?
Almost anything is possible, ive even heard that bios modders even modded ryzen 5000 support on an a320 was it?
And for me personally modded bioses that claim to improve performance dont work for me so i resorted to flashing my mobo, a p5q with the bios of a p5q pro turbo and now it overclocks much better than it used to, but thats a pretty simple mod because they use the same chipset

Last edited:
Almost anything is possible, ive even heard that bios modders even modded ryzen 5000 support on an a320 was it?
But those were BIOS modders...this is a mobo mfr. I would not figure them to 'hack' the AGESA code to make it work, if that's what was needed.

I would get excited about it except 5000 processors are in such short stock why bother. I figured by the time a BIOS was available in February or so next year for my MSI motherboard they'd be (more) broadly available.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Asus And Gigabyte also have B450 Beta Bios that support Ryzen 5000 CPU's.
Asus B450 Beta BIOSes (Ryzen 5000 Support) : Amd (reddit.com)
Gigabyte has released BIOS updates for (all?) B450 boards with support for Zen3 (F60) : Amd (reddit.com)

And I read a few posts from Asus B450 MB (B450-F, B450-E and B450I) owners that said the Beta BIOS was working well for them with a 5600x.

I haven't seen any X470 Beta BIOS that support Ryzen 5000 yet though.
But with Asus at least that seems to be a trend, my B450-F always gets a BIOS update before my X470-F does.

Last edited:
Solution
I guess you can get the athlon 200ge as the bios updater chip? But i think spending 30-50$ to update the bios will be more worth it than getting a crappy a520 since the b450 and x470 support overclocking and have decent io and features, and if you are lucky you can get a shop to update the bios for you

If you dont have a way to update the bios AMD will send you a kit to update the bios and then you just send it back to them.

AMD Boot Kit