Question Budget Parts Amalgamation

Jun 16, 2019
Hey all! I'm new here, and new to building computers!
I currently have an i5-2400 in an Optiplex 3010 with 8G of RAM and a 1080. I'm looking at getting more RAM, and a better CPU.
I went on PCPartPicker and I threw some options that I have considered purchasing. I want to know if these things are all compatible? You'll all know better than me!
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RD986s
If you have any comments, or suggestions, I'm open to anything. Thank you very much!

Jun 16, 2019
That CPU Cooler is not an acceptable CPU Cooler for the i5-6600. You need to be looking at higher performance and larger CPU Coolers.
Okay, thanks! I wasn't too sure about that, but PCPartPicker kept giving me crap for not having a cooler. Are there any coolers you know of that would fit it, by chance?

Yes, the parts are compatible. If the CPU doesn't come with a cooler, you will need a better one, as said above. However, you might want to upgrade to a 7th gen i5 CPU and downgrade the GPU to a 1070. Also, is the PSU you will be using suitable for high power graphics cards?

Jun 16, 2019
Yes, the parts are compatible. If the CPU doesn't come with a cooler, you will need a better one, as said above. However, you might want to upgrade to a 7th gen i5 CPU and downgrade the GPU to a 1070. Also, is the PSU you will be using suitable for high power graphics cards?
I already have the 1080 and a more than powerful enough power supply. I'm more worried about motherboard, CPU, and case compatibility. Fitting that 1080 into my Optiplex was fun :p

Ah yes I forgot about that. Your motherboard supports a max of DDR4-2400. I strongly urge you to get this speed, and not the slower DDR4-2133. You should get dual channel. Either get 2x 4GB modules, or 2x 8GB modules. Make sure they are matching sticks (brand, speed, model etc). Dual channel is much faster than a single stick, but typically only works with matching sticks.

TRENDING THREADS