Onelegedhaggis

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Hello. OK quick intro, Im in the Uk and 21. The system I have at the moment is a big Dated. Buld not all the componets are. Also My budget is a bit tight otherwise i would just be asking for a mega build guide :p

VVV note the usage of the guide :D VVV

What Im after is some guidance on a cpu and gfx upgrade. with possible ram upgrade. I might have to get a more powerfull psu aswell

The system as it is right now is this:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 3/9/2010, 18:47:30
Machine name: MATT-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: XFX78I
System Model: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2558MB RAM
Page File: 1570MB used, 3545MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 9600 GT
Display Memory: 1522 MB
Dedicated Memory: 499 MB
Shared Memory: 1023 MB
Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (60Hz)

the psu is a winpower ATX750. Its a bit dodgey so thinking a replacement of it would be a good idea

My cpu cooler is a Zalman VF2000

And finally My case is a good old Coolermaster Preatorian

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Will be on the 26th when i get paid
BUDGET RANGE: £400-600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Audio Editing and photo shopwork, gaming( think BFBC2 AVP ect), surfing the internet, watching movies.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers. MOBO

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: I do often use OverclockersUK but i am open to any site that is good and reliable

PARTS PREFERENCES: This is same as the site im not 2 bothered aslong as its good. But for the main parts i like Intel CPU and NvIdia GFX

OVERCLOCKING: My Mobo 780I can have 3 way sli but i dont think thats an option on my low budget but I am open. For the CPU i am also open to learning how to overclock

MONITOR RESOLUTION: My moniter is the Dell 2007FP which is only 1600x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:My case is good as it is at the moment but if you can think of a good one that might fit in with the budget itwould be cool.

Now i used ya the post guide but it is a bit big sorry.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
If I had that budget to work with, I'd leave 775 and go for an i5 build. Using ebuyer, you can get a solid set of internals for >600.

ASUS P7H55D-M EVO Mainboard
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/190025

i5 750
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172755

Corsair PC3-12800 2x2 Kit
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/177345

XFX 5770
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/196442

Corsair 650W PSU
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

Free shipping, ₤582.95.

I'm sure someone can offer up some better ideas here, as I'm still LGA775, but just showing you a reference.

Get this RAM instead: G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ripjaw Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.65V £95
The problem with doing jack's build is that there doesn't seem to be room for an OS.
A slightly cheaper option, to allow for an OS, would be to change the CPU and motherboard to an AMD Athlon II X4 635 @ ~£94 and an Asus M4A79TD EVO @ ~£86. This is a better gaming CPU at overclockersUK AMD Phenom II X3 720 £100.
And for crossfiring 5770s you only really need a 500W PSU. I would only change to one if it was still really good quality and it made a good saving.
If you don't need an OS then it's possible that the savings made from my suggestions could be spend on getting a 5850, which is a really good card. And you'd be able to crossfire it on the PSU jack suggested or get one that isn't too much more expensive (I wish ebuyer would update how they list specifications for components).
Doing either of the changes that I or jack suggested will give you noticeable improvements over what you currently have. I suppose it is possible that if you stayed with your current platform is that you won't have to spend any money on upgrades to RAM and replacing the OS. So potentially you could get a new case or get a really nice video card.

jack_attack

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Dang, the OS. I always forget to include OS, I got the corporate bonus in that area. But in any case, a current system isn't as far away as many people think, like Silvune helped point out :)

Onelegedhaggis

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
Ah see now there is something i didnt think of, Jumping up to the ICores. I guess with that idea and that new mobo i have the options to urthewr uprgade in the future where as with this 775 i would be limited. Thanks for the quick reply :)

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Well, no. There won't be any more than 4 core CPUs for that socket. We also haven't heard if there will be faster ones in that either.

Since you like the idea of upgrading, the way I see it you've got two options. See what CPU's your motherboard can take and just putting in a better one, and waiting for a couple/several more years before starting from the ground up with a new motherboard. Or going with an AMD AM3 build which will be upgradeable in the future because they've said it will be.

I like that graphics choice though.