Question Budget Productivity Build - Help need to decide the CPU.

Aug 2, 2019
I am planning to upgrade my current rig on a budget so planning for the LGA2011 build. This is what I do mostly. I do "Web Development", multiple chrome/Firefox tabs, sometimes playing games and watching movies. I have a 4K monitor, and RX 580 as a spare, so I need to include these in this build.

The CPU I am planning to try is:

e5 -2650 v2 ( 8C/16T - 2.6ghz )
e5 -1650 v2 ( 6C/12T - 3.5ghz )

Now I am confused with the Cores and Thread. Will the higher core count helps multi-tasking or the base frequency?

Thanks,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Without context for the rest of the build, or taking into account budget/price etc.... Or knowing what applications you're using, it's tough to say.

But based on the limited info you've provided, the E5-1650v2 seems like it would be the better purchase.

One word of warning. in gaming you need boost clock not base clock. and it should be quite identical on both.
If you have anything that eat 100% cpu for more than 2 minutes, you want higher base clock.
I have 6c/12t cpu and I work on 3 screens. Main app I use likes to fill 6-7 threads, and I have spare for music, email, slack, os.
do the math, check what you use, if you see that you fill your current, you will need +2c/4t at least.

Aug 2, 2019
@Rdslw ,

Thanks for the warning.

What's your CPU?

My Setup will be also like that, multiple 4K monitors ( mostly 2 ), and then running email, slack, browsers, other dev tools, etc.,

I don't play games much, all I want is to create a smooth and fast system for my work.

Regards,

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
One word of warning. in gaming you need boost clock not base clock. and it should be quite identical on both.
If you have anything that eat 100% cpu for more than 2 minutes, you want higher base clock.

Technically, you need sustained clocks, not strictly "boost" unless you can maintain said boost 100% of the time.
Generally, boost clocks will drop in stages to the point that 100% load = base.... but for some chips, there's still an "all core" boost that's higher than base.

For an E5-1650v2, it'll do 3.9GHz only for single-core workloads, which are few & far between these days.
3.7GHz for 2-4 cores active and it can actually sustain 3.6GHz under a 6 core workload.

Mobile one for now:
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-8750h-processor-9m-cache-up-to-4-10-ghz.html
I am trying to build ryzen machine, but I cannot get parts at good prices...

My recommendation would be to have sar or windows manager underneath your daily usage, and check how many you use now, its best way.
Assuming you have 4c/8t now, and you will notice 70% load, then its 6/12
if you see 80-95% then 8c/16t might be noticably better.