Question Budget rebuild advice

Mar 26, 2020
Hi, I'm pretty much brand new to this, and hopefully once I have more money I'll be able to build on the experience, but first a little background.
I bought my girlfriend a cheap 2nd hand desktop so she would have a proper workspace for her college assignments.
It's outdated but was working fine at first.
Unfortunately the fan in the graphics card had a loose bearing which made a horrendous noise whenever it was in use, so I figured I would fix up a few upgrades.

When they finally arrive, we will have:
8GB RAM (up from 4)
120GB SSD running as a boot drive alongside a 1TB HDD
Gigabyte GT630 2GB graphics card

I realise that this is a far cry from your top-end gaming and editing rigs, but all I'm aiming for is an efficient workspace with the capacity to run a few older games.

Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what to go for next?

I'm running Windows 10 on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with a view to updating, but I'm unsure what is the best processor to fit a 775 socket.

Hi, I'm pretty much brand new to this, and hopefully once I have more money I'll be able to build on the experience, but first a little background.
I bought my girlfriend a cheap 2nd hand desktop so she would have a proper workspace for her college assignments.
It's outdated but was working fine at first.
Unfortunately the fan in the graphics card had a loose bearing which made a horrendous noise whenever it was in use, so I figured I would fix up a few upgrades.

When they finally arrive, we will have:
8GB RAM (up from 4)
120GB SSD running as a boot drive alongside a 1TB HDD
Gigabyte GT630 2GB graphics card

I realise that this is a far cry from your top-end gaming and editing rigs, but all I'm aiming for is an efficient workspace with the capacity to run a few older games.

Would anyone be able to give me some advice on what to go for next?

I'm running Windows 10 on an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 with a view to updating, but I'm unsure what is the best processor to fit a 775 socket.
First you need to find exact make and desugnation for your MB, then look it up on internet and find out which if any Core 2 Quad it can take and which BIOS version it may require.
Also need to know which RAM it needs and buy 2 sticks so you can get dual channel for best performance.

Mar 26, 2020
First you need to find exact make and desugnation for your MB, then look it up on internet and find out which if any Core 2 Quad it can take and which BIOS version it may require.
Also need to know which RAM it needs and buy 2 sticks so you can get dual channel for best performance.

Thanks for the reply.
So far so good.
At the minute, the rig is in bits so I won't be in a position to get the MB details until I put it back together.

As for RAM I'm waiting for 2×4GB to be delivered this weekend.

Mar 26, 2020
There should be some markings on MB itself.

Found it on amazon under Intel DG41WV and according to that seller it's from 2015, so newer than I was expecting since the GPU included was from 2008, but it was just thrown together from spare parts when I bought it.

Does this help in deciding which CPU to choose? Obviously within the limits of a 775 socket.

Found it on amazon under Intel DG41WV and according to that seller it's from 2015, so newer than I was expecting since the GPU included was from 2008, but it was just thrown together from spare parts when I bought it.

Does this help in deciding which CPU to choose? Obviously within the limits of a 775 socket.
G41 chipset supports Quad core, found this for it
Processor Support for the following: •Intel® Core™2 Quad processor in an LGA775 socket •Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket • Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor in an LGA775 socket •Intel® Celeron® processor Sequence 400 in an LGA775 socket
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ards/desktop/dg41wv/dg41wv_techprodspec02.pdf

Mar 26, 2020
G41 chipset supports Quad core, found this for it
Processor Support for the following: •Intel® Core™2 Quad processor in an LGA775 socket •Intel® Core™2 Duo processor in an LGA775 socket • Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor in an LGA775 socket •Intel® Celeron® processor Sequence 400 in an LGA775 socket
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/s...ards/desktop/dg41wv/dg41wv_techprodspec02.pdf

Great, thanks for the tip.
I might just stick with this one for now until I can get a better motherboard and CPU together. I'm probably wasting my time getting a better processor when the MB can only support 4GB RAM anyway.