Budget Rendering Build Aid

Mr_Grits

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013
Hello there, I'm new here to tom's (While this will be my first actually post, I've actually been using it for reference for a few months now) and I'm getting into building PC's. So hopefully I do things right!

So my buddy's laptop broke down recently (Was a Sony iSomething, he doesn't remember. Was at least $2000 I believe and was 3 years old) and I recommended him building a desktop instead, so I volunteered to pull some hardware together so I could get more knowledge in.

*By the way I'll also need some help with my personal build, but I'll make another thread for that, thanks! :D

So he said he mainly uses (forgive me if I get these names wrong) Maya, Photoshop, UDK and Mudbox.
He doesn't really plan on gaming really, possibly occasionally, mentioned emulators at the most

Motherboard:
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

Memory:
Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU:
XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB Video Card

PSU:
Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Optical Drive:
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

Case:
Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

So any help would be nice, suggestions are welcome, criticism is great.
He said he'll go no higher than $1000, but would enjoy a cheaper price if possible. He seems to be content with $700 and under

Not sure what monitor/resolution he'll be using

And I'm not planning on overclocking, since it's something I have yet to learn.

Thanks!

Solution
Hm, well like I said, I don't think any overclocking will be happening, right of the bat at least. And would a SSD make that much of a difference for rendering programs? I'm aware of the load times it helps with for games, so I guess I could just assume it works the same way then? I'll look into that for sure!
OC gives 30% more power for rendering. SSD makes huge diffrence because all wata are readed and writed 10 x faster than with HDD.

Oh and my buddy also would like to keep the Windows 7 as well
8 is better. loads faster it is lighter and so on. It takes only 3-5min to adjust 8 to look just like 7.
But if he wants 7 then it must be it.

And is a R7 260X really necessary for his use? I mean if he decides o game...
This build do have lot better PSU, CPU cooler to enable OC + 1GHz And better video card.
SSD Id like to ADD but that is 100 more so.. It still gives really much faster operation. It do make any sound so it nice to have. 256GB SSD for 150$ is really good buy.http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sandisk-internal-hard-drive-sdssdhp256gg25 You can save 45 if you leave out cpu cooler.
But it is silent and enables good OC so Id not think it is a good idea to leave out. Id look better case. Fractal R4 or ARC Midi. Well worth extra money.

So here is build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Macho-120 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card ($132.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $763.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-25 08:20 EST-0500)

Mr_Grits

Honorable
Dec 25, 2013

Hm, well like I said, I don't think any overclocking will be happening, right of the bat at least. And would a SSD make that much of a difference for rendering programs? I'm aware of the load times it helps with for games, so I guess I could just assume it works the same way then? I'll look into that for sure!

And is a R7 260X really necessary for his use? I mean if he decides o game somewhere down the line he could upgrade, but is it needed just for the rendering he does?

But I will also keep looking at some cases as well

Thanks!

OC gives 30% more power for rendering. SSD makes huge diffrence because all wata are readed and writed 10 x faster than with HDD.

8 is better. loads faster it is lighter and so on. It takes only 3-5min to adjust 8 to look just like 7.
But if he wants 7 then it must be it.

And is a R7 260X really necessary for his use? I mean if he decides o game somewhere down the line he could upgrade, but is it needed just for the rendering he does?
This video card do have 2GB memory. About same price you get new video card with better performance.
So what point is there buy old and not so powerfull card?

I think there will be good deals in january :) Hope thsi helps make better build :)
Btw. Look review of that tPSU. It is amazing good quality. Really reliable and long warranty.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-CAPSTONE-550M-Power-Supply-Review/1584

Solution