[SOLVED] Budget SSD

vhv89

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi, im looking for a SSD, possibly an M.2.
Is it going to work with my AsRock Extreme Z97 motherboard?
If yes, which one would you recommend?
Im not looking for anything expensive, possibly up to 50usd, 500gb would great. I was looking at Crucial A2000 but i have my concerns about if its going to work with my mobo.

Thanks for your help

Solution
I have an Asrock Z97 (specs below)

Save your $$ and brain cells, and just get a SATA III SSD.
Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO.
Direct drop in replacement for an HDD. Or as an add on.

Don't bother with an NVMe drive, at all.
You will see ZERO difference with SATA III vs an NVMe drive.

The main benefit of the solid state drives is the near zero access time. All of them do that.
And in a Z97, even the theoretical unobtanium benefit of the sequential speed of a good NVMe is lost. That M.2 port can't even do that.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, im looking for a SSD, possibly an M.2.
Is it going to work with my AsRock Extreme Z97 motherboard?
If yes, which one would you recommend?
Im not looking for anything expensive, possibly up to 50usd, 500gb would great. I was looking at Crucial A2000 but i have my concerns about if its going to work with my mobo.

Thanks for your help
With a Z97, I would recommend a standard SATA SSD, like an MX500. M.2 on those old motherboards is a hassle.

Reactions: Nemesia

USAFRet

Titan
I have an Asrock Z97 (specs below)

Save your $$ and brain cells, and just get a SATA III SSD.
Crucial MX500 or Samsung 860 EVO.
Direct drop in replacement for an HDD. Or as an add on.

Don't bother with an NVMe drive, at all.
You will see ZERO difference with SATA III vs an NVMe drive.

The main benefit of the solid state drives is the near zero access time. All of them do that.
And in a Z97, even the theoretical unobtanium benefit of the sequential speed of a good NVMe is lost. That M.2 port can't even do that.

Solution
there are other benefits like no need for SATA cables, a clean profile - even if you use a SATA m.2 drive - also the NVMe SSD will be more valuable in the future in terms of migrating to a better motherboard, plenty of people have 2.5" SSDs in their parts bins or as doorstops.

lots of 2-dimensional thinking around here.

there are other benefits like no need for SATA cables, a clean profile - even if you use a SATA m.2 drive - also the NVMe SSD will be more valuable in the future in terms of migrating to a better motherboard, plenty of people have 2.5" SSDs in their parts bins or as doorstops.

You know that an M.2 is only better for transferring files right to and from the same or another M.2 NVMe.

And if you have 2.5" SSD used as doorstop why don't you send one to the OP? He needs one.

USAFRet

Titan

A year from now, when the OP wants a whole system upgrade from his Z97...that same NVMe drive will be less expensive per GB than it is today.

And the ONLY benefit of a M.2 SATA drive might be lack of cables.

Sometimes, simple is better.

USAFRet

Titan
but he'll shell roughly the same for NVMe as for 2.5" right now - which part will be more useful then?
Not for good quality devices.
Getting closer, but not quite parity yet.

We could go round and round with this. But an NVMe drive on a Z97 board is more hassle than warrants.
Even forcing it to be the boot drive may not happen.

And a 2.5" SSD will ALSO be useful later, even years from now.