budget system, low virtual memory warning. help pls.

scout81

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
I recently built a budget pc to be used for moderate gaming and heaving programming. Most of the components came from my old pc, only the motherboard and processor are new.

System specs
athlon 64 3000+
msi k8t neo2-f
inno3d 5200 128mb
256 ddr 333
20 gig HD

I have no problem with the apps that i'm using but its the gaming capability that i have to take issue with.
I used NFS to test the capability of the PC but in the middle of the game i get a warning message "low virtual memory"

can't my pc handle the load?
what can i do to improve system performance?

scout81

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
i would probably buy my next graphics card on my next build. i built this budget system primarily for programming and typical office work, getting ready for vs.net 2005 and sql server express.

My next rig would probably be centered on gaming.

Twigsoffury

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
256MB of ram just isn't going to crack it anymore. Upgrade with another 512MB if your on a budget.

1024MB if you have a spare 100$ or so to spend.

for a budget type system..

Go with a Nvidia 6200. there about 100$ (can be found for 80 brand new)

you'll notice a large difference in performance.

and set your page file to System Managed.

scout81

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Thanks for the info, i already bought 1 GB(512x2 Geil ddr 400) of dual channel ram.
The problem no is i could not get it to run in dual channel mode.
I could only get it to run in single channel mode.

Can anyone help me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I might be able to help, but maybe not. First of all, that motherboard in particular, and practically all motherboards using that chipset, can be a little "extra difficult" to get into Dual-Channel mode.

First thing you'll want to do is remove the old RAM, since you need matched pairs to run dual-channel.

Try booting one module in Slot 2. If that works, go into BIOS and increase the first three latency values by value (for example, 2.5-3-3 to 3-4-4), and increase the memory voltage to 2.8v. Reboot, then shut down and install the other DIMM in Slot 4.

If that works, do some testing. If everything comes out stable, try lowering your timings, one at a time, in reverse order. IE, change the 3-4-4 to 3-4-3, retest, then try 3-3-3, retest, then try 2.5-3-3. If you can get back to the original timings using only the increased voltage, great. If you can't get back to the original timings but it's stable with the higher timings, well, at least it's stable.

scout81

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2005
Crashman

i would like to clarify something,

i'm suppose to change the following
1.Cas Latency time
2.Act to precharge delay
3. DRAM RAS to CAS Delay

are these the values that i have to change?

dexter84

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
could u plz tell that how many partitions u have on ur hardisk .

a tip :-

1 u should install gmaes in a separate partition other than system partition.

2 go to my computer properties and advanced tab there go to performance settiings . in that tab go to set page file .now choose a custom page file size that should be about twice the size of ur ram installed say 400 mb.

3 uninstall any games from system partition or simply do not fill ur system partition to full