Budget upgrade from ddr2 to ddr3 AMD based system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

evilgummybear

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Fella's

Im currently using AMD quad core 955BE cpu using DDR2 ram atm with a geforce 460se GPU and 500w psu.
I plan to upgrade my MB + RAM i would like to get DDR3 8gb just to play sc2 smoothly and deus ex revolution and for diablo3 (when its out)
Im looking for a budget upgrade to squeeze the life out of the AMD 955 cpu until it becomes obsolete, is it worth it to upgrade to dd3 or should i just go for the icore 7 based systems?

Im having trouble deciding on a budget board just so i can use DDR3 ram as i would prefer 8GB (4Gx2) 1600 G.Skill Ripjaws-X ($60 aud) i might even consider 16gb of ddr3 ram if its worth the upgrade interms of speed performance to 8gb.

The mainboard i choose is Gigabyte GA-970A-D3 AM3 970 DDR3 Motherboard ($105 aud)
i was even considering a $50 MB just to use ddr3 such as the ASUS M4A78LT-M-LE 760G AM3 DDR3 Motherboard, would it be better off getting a much cheaper board?

Would i also need a stronger PSU?

i would really prefer to spend about $100-150 total on just MB + RAM as i would prefer to make this pc last for diablo3 then trash it all and buy the monster icore 7 in the future (1-2yrs time)

Any help/thoughts would be appreciated.

evilgummybear

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
xfire/sli is nice, but would rather a full system upgrade if i was going down that path. Plus not sure if they are worth it with my current specs.
unless u get 2x 460se and sli it, i wonder if thats worth it or not.
But i think My MB doesnt support sli's.

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

yep your mobo doesn't support SLI only crossfire.