[SOLVED] Budget upgrade path fx 8350 /gtx 950

Mar 10, 2019
I have a flexible budget of about $200-300, looking for a may or june upgrade to my pc. Haven't been using it in a long time - casual gaming. The system specs are as follows:
FX 8350 cooled with cooler master hyper 212 evo
nvidia gtx 950 with 2gb ram
16gb ddr 3 1333 memory
gigabyte ga-78lmt-usb3 motherboard
thermaltake tr2 600w power supply
120gb ssd (boot drive/windows)
1400gb data drive (old wd 5400rpm)
windows 10
fractal design focus g case with 2 intake/2 exhaust fans
monitor is a 1920 resolution 25" hp

I just finished moving the setup into the new case to add cooling as I was having temp issues while gaming with the system. The old case it was in had very little air flow. while playing far cry 5. I also recently changed from stock cooler to the evo because the stock fan sounded like a small gas powered engine winding up. The system is cool, quiet and running things I didn't think was possible. Far cry new dawn gives me about 40 fps at normal settings 1920 resolution/ 43 fps on low settings. Dropping resolution looks horrible. Both the cpu and gpu have been slightly overclocked. 40fps seems quite playable to me and my style.
The games I seem to like to play are open world wander type games like far cry and just cause and I'm looking forward to cyberpunk 2077.
Am I out of line thinking that my current weak link is the gpu and an rx 580/590 with 8gb vram would be the current sweet spot for keeping this rig up and running for a bit or do I need to bite the bullet and save up for the latest and greatest cpu/motherboard/ram?
Thanks in advance for your guidance :)

Solution
You have got a Faildozer FX-8350.

It is a CPU with a single core score of 1510 @4.2 GHz @PassMark Single Threaded Benchmark.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

We are talking about a CPU that is FIFTY PERCENT SLOWER THAN A SIX YEAR OLD 4790K HASWELL. We are talking about Pentium 4 levels of performance here.

And you claim you are seeing 40 FPS at Far Cry 4.

Min Reqs for Far Cry 4:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz

The minimum reqs CPU for that game, an i5-760, has got a Passmark rating of 1860, about 20% faster than your CPU.

The only way that you are seeing 40 FPS at Far Cry 4 with a Faildozer is if you are taking FPS measurements while your toon is stuck against a wall...

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
You have got a Faildozer FX-8350.

It is a CPU with a single core score of 1510 @4.2 GHz @PassMark Single Threaded Benchmark.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

We are talking about a CPU that is FIFTY PERCENT SLOWER THAN A SIX YEAR OLD 4790K HASWELL. We are talking about Pentium 4 levels of performance here.

And you claim you are seeing 40 FPS at Far Cry 4.

Min Reqs for Far Cry 4:

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz

The minimum reqs CPU for that game, an i5-760, has got a Passmark rating of 1860, about 20% faster than your CPU.

The only way that you are seeing 40 FPS at Far Cry 4 with a Faildozer is if you are taking FPS measurements while your toon is stuck against a wall and all you see on your screen are bricks in the wall.

Using $200 to upgrade that system is a waste of money. Keep saving until you can afford a new mobo, RAM and CPU. Since you have financial issues, just save until you can buy a cheap RYZEN CPU, mobo and RAM.

Solution

Latest posts