[SOLVED] budget upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
im lazy and havent looked into hardware in years. I have a lot of junk and I usually didnt game much but now i need some ancient raw power for junk money.. help.

motherboard with lg 1155 3570k
and one with 6570k

gtx 680
gtx 590 bnib i have noidea why i have this thing
amd tahiti card. i think its a 280 or a 4870k .. but its off .. and im too lazy to fix the os on it..

i think they both have different sockets...

messed up and have the better cpu on my work pc.. and im gaming on the ivy... so need to at minimium do that.. odly i think this ivy oc better than the 6570k . im not going to lie i think that mobo might have an issue.. i should probably rma.. is 3 years too late haha.

should I go i7 on the old chip or something? whats a good video card to go with it?
I need one nvidia system for workflow.
ive been upgrading ssd's and thats about it.. they are two seperate systems... what would you do on a budget...?

Last edited:
Solution
x58 is vastly inferior to modern day chips, they're cheap, but overclockable boards are expensive(I sold one for $150) and the ipc of the xeon is way lower then modern chips, the fastest xeon, xeon x5690($100) is still ~30% slower then any new chip, clock for clock.
Right now I have a dell t3500($25) board with a meager xeon e5660($20), it's real cheap, and the six cores are great, but vastly inferior to anything new.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Idk about vastly. I still can get descent FPS with core 2 duo chips and I think that’s the same era .

I mean for a 6 core cpu mobo combo that’s awesome price . What’s ur geekbench scores ?

Found some interesting info about 2080’s

Oh do you think the new amd cards will drop Vega prices ? My goals are this find a defective 2080 for around 100$ , just found out they had a batch of bad memmory . U can fix the issue with slowing memory clock . And possibly try to warranty the card out .

Next would be just trying to get a steal on a used 1080 or Vega 64 for around 250

Then if neither of those work out rx580 will be 100$ And I will have to settle for 1080 gaming

vega 56 was already price dropped to $280,but they sell out fast. The amd navi cards should release in july rx3xxx series. The prices are said to be pretty good, but who knows.

Yes, you can get decent fps with any system, with an appropriate gpu, but at a certain point that gpu will give much better results with a better cpu. With my rig, a 1070 would be the absolute highest, and that may require a tad faster cpu, say a xeon x5680, but my psu is old and weak, so i'll refrain.

But it is definitely vastly inferior, geekbench single: 2608 , multi:12203