[SOLVED] budget upgrade

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
im lazy and havent looked into hardware in years. I have a lot of junk and I usually didnt game much but now i need some ancient raw power for junk money.. help.

motherboard with lg 1155 3570k
and one with 6570k

gtx 680
gtx 590 bnib i have noidea why i have this thing
amd tahiti card. i think its a 280 or a 4870k .. but its off .. and im too lazy to fix the os on it..

i think they both have different sockets...

messed up and have the better cpu on my work pc.. and im gaming on the ivy... so need to at minimium do that.. odly i think this ivy oc better than the 6570k . im not going to lie i think that mobo might have an issue.. i should probably rma.. is 3 years too late haha.

should I go i7 on the old chip or something? whats a good video card to go with it?
I need one nvidia system for workflow.
ive been upgrading ssd's and thats about it.. they are two seperate systems... what would you do on a budget...?

Last edited:
Solution
x58 is vastly inferior to modern day chips, they're cheap, but overclockable boards are expensive(I sold one for $150) and the ipc of the xeon is way lower then modern chips, the fastest xeon, xeon x5690($100) is still ~30% slower then any new chip, clock for clock.
Right now I have a dell t3500($25) board with a meager xeon e5660($20), it's real cheap, and the six cores are great, but vastly inferior to anything new.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
IM still bad at being eloquent. I should probably go back and delete most of this ramble... sorry. but if your still around any advice would be awesome.

did a little research. my mobo suports amd xfire and two tahitis should still be potent but should i go 2600k or whatever max cpu on the other socket?

Last edited:

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
ugh ok so answered my own stuff again.. looks like socket 1151 is still viable.. so which i5 had the extra cores? best price ? still worth to get unlocked? idk if ill have luck finding used stuff

Both the 3570k and 6500 are decent chips, my bud has the i5 6500 paired with a gtx 1070, but its reaching its limits. One can find an i7 6700 or 7700(if your board supports), but it will be rather expensive and more of a last ditch effort. Unfortunately, your lga 1151 is not the 1151 that has 6 cores+ and is incompatible with 8/9th gen cpu's.

Reactions: zealious

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
yea gpu upgrade seems plausible..

is running two cards still grossly uneffeficient?

thats confusing.. so there is 2 different 1151 sockets?

Thanks for the reply man.

Yea they are good chips. I couldnt help but notice a marginal differfence between the two . and Im sure as anyone paying atention to hardware has lately x86 might be at its ceiling.

Ive notice more games are starting to take advantage of more cores.

yes, sli or crossfire is even worse now then before lol. personally, the price tag of $250+ to upgrade the 1151 rig is too steep and could nearly buy a AMD ryzen 2600 and board, the old 1155 is also expensive but not numbingly so, a i7 3770 non k for ~100.

yeah, Intel cut compatibilty with 1xx/2xx series boards for the reason of "power delivery", but thats false and was just their usual shenanigans of cutting support early. So the 8 and 9 series isnt compatible. Though the 7700k still performs near the 8 and 9 series, just with less cores, but thats a $300 part if u can find it.

Actually, my i5 6500 bud wants to upgrade, I told him to not get a 7700k and just wait till the ryzen 3000 series in july, so he's waiting it out. Of course he has no urgency, so I can't say what your circumstance is.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I see... that’s too bad .

Hmm maybe I should upgrade my gpu 670 isn’t that amazing .. I wonder if the 590 would even best it .. are gpu prices still insane? What’s best bang for buck for me ? 980? 970 or is 1060 better

the 670 is def better then the gtx590, gtx670 performs like a gtx 1050. As for the rx 580, the prices have fluctuated quite a bit and $170 is a good deal, but it definitely isnt better the the 1070, trades blows with the 1060 6gb perhaps. The RX590 is just a factory overclock on the RX 580, so thats still not near a 1070. The 1660 ti released the other day for $280(the naming lol) and performs like a 1070.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
this nomencleture is getting hard to keep up with. and I apologize I actually have gtx 680

I use steam streaming or nvidia steaming whatever you want to call it so I have to probably go with nvidia product.

ill check that one out thanks. SO back in the day newer architectures werent a big deal... always came down to bandwidth and pipelines or i guess they call them cuda cores now. like the r9 280 slash 4780 or whatever they re dubbed the tahatti chip.. for example I noticed physically the upper nvidia cards could stay viable for a few generations like even upper mid tier cards couldnt beat ie a 590.. has that changed?

so what i can tell. cpu stagnation besides ryzen... gpu performance jumped drasticaly when gtx 980 came out and then even so again with the 1070 1080... is the ti an atempt to finally have a budget midrange card ?

props to amd with ryzen. kind of sucks intel just kind of moved core counts over and came out with i9 and now again dominant performance....

what about optimization wize.? with gpu and cpu is it still leaning nvidia intel?

frankly it would make sense for amd to take the optimization lead being in a lot of consoles. I really wished their engine stuck.

it would have been really nice to have a cross p;latform gaiming engine for consoles/ pc / even mac...

maybe one day this will happen.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
never mind on that question. I see now. The rtx and gtx . the 1660 is p;retty tempting. in this older system though the rx 580 or gtx 970 might make sense?

crap so its basicaly gtx 1070, 1660, and amd vega 56 price drops apparently and rx 580/ 590..

im seeing rx580 at some amazing prices 129 in some cases. refurbished etc.... seems like a nice quick little upgrade..

Last edited:
Yeah, amd is already in the consoles and next gen consoles will have ryzen as well. The 1070/1660ti is substantially faster, however you'd be more likely to start bottle-necking and induce stuttering, but the RX580 is a fantastic deal atm, even new as it comes with a promotional 2 games worth 50 each. if my psu wasnt at its limit, I would have picked the 580 over my 1060. This reddit has some amazing deals sometimes, so maybe keep an eye on that?

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
ah and 3770 is going insanely cheap right now... compared to the 1151 options. and is only about 10-20% slower.

wow and never mind its barely better than the i5 .... so gpu makes most sense to upgrade.

and even looking at the 7th gen 7700k not much faster.. its sad how little has improved with intel.. how have people not taken notice...

is there a good visual chart that shows the puny performance increase over the last 5 years with intel generations?

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
My heads exploding. I’m trying to decipher the last 4 years of intels upgrades .. the naming , the re badging.. what in the world is going on .. are 2011 still supported? I wonder how the ivy , sandy , Haskell extremes compare .. I’m finding some ivy e around 150 and sand e 100$ .. I don’t think those had 6 physical cores though ..

I got to say I’m seriously disappointed with this progression . Kabby lake seems the best jump yet and we can thank amd for that..

Back to the original topic I’m finding my 280x is outperforming my gtx 670 pretty well and technically the sky lake should be able to handle beast overcolck if I won’t the silicone lottery it’s allso my bed first board I have but I think it needs a rma so plan to swap things around . Def see if I can get that 4th gent sorry not 6th gen i5k to 5ghz

I’ll use the 280 to hold me over and we if I can deal with d if I can. 580 for 100 bucks if not def the 1660ti . Unless I can get insane deal on 1080 or something what happened to the 980 970?

Last edited:
lga 2011 has had several iterations and are not backwards compatible for the most part, the lga 2066 is the successor.

Coffee lake is the one that increased core counts, kaby lake was still just 4 cores.

Sometimes the vega 56 will pop up at $280 with 3 free games if u lucky. Don't get a 1080 unless you get an i7, the four cores are a limit nowadays and will bottleneck(1660ti/1070/vega56 minor bottleneck). you can find deals on the 980/970 occasionally, but why bother since 4gb vram is a bit limiting anyways and the rx580 is pretty close in performance to the 980.

You still need a nvidia for workflow though, right?

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Thanks for sticking around man..

I really am curious to see if those old 3-5th gen i7 extremees perform compared to coffee lake ... I don’t think they overclocked well .. probably not great for gaming . But might be a good way to get some better core counts on the cheap

Man I’m so off on everything these days ..
I have devils canyon . It’s really just premium Haswell silicone with better thermal interface. And I’m seeing what she can do .

I’m over workflow right now haha .

Man so I legit just had a geek bench of like 5600

I guess I never really messed with this piece of silicone at all . I had no problem getting 4.7 with 1.25 vcore. Minor bsd temps 70c

I’m now coasting at 4.9 .... with insane vcore like 1.45 I think but I had to up the vim might have to disable hyper threading and I can hit 5

It’s been too long since I’ve done a non auto overclock . This feels like a solid 4.8 chip but god I want to hit 5

Anyway I’m so tempted to get a 580 right now it kind of is the limit without bottle neck and 100 bucks is a steal

Thanks for hanging with me

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Edit . It took 1.51 vcore to get 5ghz . It was stable af ... temps never reached over 80

Im kind of dumb found. It’s pointless to run that high .

Now I’m just trying to stick to 4.8 at the lowest vcore I can .... and hyper threading back on .. maybe 4.7 .. interesting ..

Maybe if I don’t care about the silicone I could just sport 5 and just see what happens . I wouldn’t say I got a silicone Winner since that would be. Stable 4.5 at like 1.14 vcore think I needed 1.25 just to get 4.5 but 1.3v and 4.7 temps are under 70 . Idk maybe I just got lucky in cooling

Beast oc and better gpu should keep me going at 1080... I’d love to pump 1440p I didn’t have problems with most games in the past but probably was around 30 FPS

Last edited:

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Ahhhh I figured it out , the benchmark I was using wasn’t fully loading the cpu ... I’m getting 70* at 1.4 and 4.8 I’ll stick with that been playing apex fine

Is it pointless to go over 16gb ram?

Again am very curious about socket 1112 hardware at current price points

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
2011 like the old server socket ehhhh 58... idk .

what mining video card do you think was ujsed the most?

Im expecting some insane deals on ebay pretty soon.

just bought a 1080 at a stupid low price but we will find out if it was a scam. I have a feeling with all this new info that the vega64 might have some serious used price drops..

yes max. i deviate. I deviate. then i deviate.

I think its my german genes.

haha. \

never the less thanks for sticking with me

other than that you were right. both these cpus are still very releveant. Im exploring some heavy older core count options for my work build.

and with the free up of extra parts I might be able to get a descent rig together for my nephew.

I havent seen a linus video in so long. Since i posed this question and have been looking up various benchmarks . Im glad he is still at it.. man he has some deep p;ockets. Ill never forget when he built the full server room in his house. and needed external water cooling and used his bathtub... ha.

Im not a hardcore gamer but I do love image quality.

I really love my korean ips 1440p monitors. which i belive i can overlock to 120hz. ive never needed to but with some of these new video cards it might be advanatgeous.

what about you max what are you working on?

If that 1080 is anything less then $300, its a scam, u'll probably get an old card with the bios flashed to register as a 1080. AMD's cards were used the most, they had a better hashrate to cost ratio, I sold my r9 380x, worth $80, during the craze for $200 lol. But yeah, you can find rx580/570 that were used for mining for under $100. The insane deals are already on ebay or gone, the mining craze ended some time ago.

I'm just waiting to upgrade my x58 xeon to amd's upcoming series, I hope the rx3000 navi gpu prices hold water.

zealious

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Ah yes x58 is what I was thinking . They have single socket boards
How do the bestt x58 compare to like the ivy bridge extremes. I know theirvsoeeds were lower . Can you just oc like two cores?

x58 is vastly inferior to modern day chips, they're cheap, but overclockable boards are expensive(I sold one for $150) and the ipc of the xeon is way lower then modern chips, the fastest xeon, xeon x5690($100) is still ~30% slower then any new chip, clock for clock.
Right now I have a dell t3500($25) board with a meager xeon e5660($20), it's real cheap, and the six cores are great, but vastly inferior to anything new.

Reactions: zealious
Solution