Discussion Budget Windows laptop for mother who doesn't need much computing power (Web browsing, video streaming, etc)

meviatheinternet

Commendable
Apr 24, 2018
So while I have been able to find quite good laptops for around 400 usd, it seems a bit excessive to pay for the amount of power you get from a new model when she's only browsing the Web, streaming videos, etc. She's not tech savvy obviously no gaming or video editing.

She does want the feel of a laptop with keyboard (and will be getting a mouse for it). I know chromebooks have become very popular but I don't know much about them and recommended against them since she's familiar with the Windows OS from work.

My first thought was maybe get a model that's a year or two behind since she wouldn't notice the difference in computing power. But perhaps there are crossovers or netbook style devices that come with Windows? I'm not familiar with netbooks or the 2 in 1 devices like the surface with keyboards. I'm sure the computing power would be plenty, but don't know if it would feel familiar and comfortable for a Windows 10 user.

So do I recommend an entry level full laptop that's 400 usd or go looking for something cheaper that uses Windows and has a keyboard?

I will update the post once I get more details on how big or small a screen and keyboard she's comfortable with. I got an acer laptop that was basically a netbook with full windows for under 200 many years ago and it was plenty powerful for everything I did except gaming. Something like that would suit her assuming she's OK with the small size.

I'd greatly appreciate a recommendation for a larger full size laptop and if there are any small netbooks or crossover type systems with windows that you think are appropriate I could give her two options. Thank you in advance!

PS: I only ruled out chromebooks because I assumed she would be flustered by a new UI and OS. I could be wrong if they're simple and intuitive enough.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
So while I have been able to find quite good laptops for around 400 usd, it seems a bit excessive to pay for the amount of power you get from a new model when she's only browsing the Web, streaming videos, etc. She's not tech savvy obviously no gaming or video editing.

She does want the feel of a laptop with keyboard (and will be getting a mouse for it). I know chromebooks have become very popular but I don't know much about them and recommended against them since she's familiar with the Windows OS from work.

My first thought was maybe get a model that's a year or two behind since she wouldn't notice the difference in computing power. But perhaps there are crossovers or netbook style devices that come with Windows? I'm not familiar with netbooks or the 2 in 1 devices like the surface with keyboards. I'm sure the computing power would be plenty, but don't know if it would feel familiar and comfortable for a Windows 10 user.

So do I recommend an entry level full laptop that's 400 usd or go looking for something cheaper that uses Windows and has a keyboard?

I will update the post once I get more details on how big or small a screen and keyboard she's comfortable with. I got an acer laptop that was basically a netbook with full windows for under 200 many years ago and it was plenty powerful for everything I did except gaming. Something like that would suit her assuming she's OK with the small size.

I'd greatly appreciate a recommendation for a larger full size laptop and if there are any small netbooks or crossover type systems with windows that you think are appropriate I could give her two options. Thank you in advance!

PS: I only ruled out chromebooks because I assumed she would be flustered by a new UI and OS. I could be wrong if they're simple and intuitive enough.

Hi @meviatheinternet

I know you mentioned having a keyboard & mouse, but have you or your mom thought about a tablet instead? It's much more portable and overall generates less heat and so can be used (easier) in bed, on the couch or just in general if your mom is out & about. They also come with keyboards and a mouse if your mom prefers having access to those as well. There are a ton of makes & models out. From name brand to knock-offs. I bought my wife an Amazon HD10 and it's been great.

Just curious.

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Hi @meviatheinternet

I know you mentioned having a keyboard & mouse, but have you or your mom thought about a tablet instead? It's much more portable and overall generates less heat and so can be used (easier) in bed, on the couch or just in general if your mom is out & about. They also come with keyboards and a mouse if your mom prefers having access to those as well. There are a ton of makes & models out. From name brand to knock-offs. I bought my wife an Amazon HD10 and it's been great.

Just curious.

I agree with @Mrgr74 , You say your Mum isn't very tech-savvy, buy a tablet.

Both my parents have android tablets (plus a laptop I bought them last year). They rarely use the laptop and always using their android tablets.