[SOLVED] Budget Workstation/Development build

Mark_Tilbrook

Commendable
Jul 11, 2017
Hi there,

Im looking for help on building a budget workstation/development build. This is for software engineering. I currently have a gaming pc but need to build a new pc for my parents house when i visit them. I dont really have a budget but Im looking for good value and something that will last a while. The software that I use is visual studio, jetbrains software and sometimes some game engines, i know the game engines will require a gpu but I cant spend for an expensive gpu right now.

Solution
Actually, I would think you would want a less-expensive gaming GPU for game development. Workstation GPUs will be using different drivers than what people running the game will be using, potentially with different performance and compatibility characteristics. Workstation GPUs might make sense for some systems used for asset development at big studios where testing is done on different computers with gaming-grade hardware, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

You probably should list an approximate target budget though, since it sounds like you don't want to spend a whole lot on the system.

Lutfij

Titan
Please follow the stylizing found in this thread and follow up this current thread with the necessary information. We can move forward from there.

Also, don't forget to mention all the app's you're going to be taxing the system with. If you're looking at game developing you could look into workstation GPU's. You can make do with a gaming grade GPU but that will depend on all the app's you're looking to work with.

Actually, I would think you would want a less-expensive gaming GPU for game development. Workstation GPUs will be using different drivers than what people running the game will be using, potentially with different performance and compatibility characteristics. Workstation GPUs might make sense for some systems used for asset development at big studios where testing is done on different computers with gaming-grade hardware, but that doesn't sound like the case here.

You probably should list an approximate target budget though, since it sounds like you don't want to spend a whole lot on the system.

Solution