Budget Workstation PC ? ($1700AUD)

Thxmas

Commendable
Aug 9, 2016
Hey, i need help building a mainly Workstation PC for heavy graphic design and photo editing and little gaming. I've configured some parts but not too sure atm. My Budget is $1700 AUD (1300 US).

IDK if i should have put so much into the GPU, and used it for RAM and the processor.

Any help is appreciated :) Thanks

My Build:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/c7gbKZ

Solution

Seems a good machine, for graphic design/gaming it isn't worth cheaping out on the graphics card and you will not regret spending the extra money. For graphics design it is worth noting that perhaps having SLI Cards over a single 1060 could be beneficial for example SLI 980Ti's would be a good fit. I am sure the 1060 will do fine job however. Also an RX480 is cheaper...

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

Seems a good machine, for graphic design/gaming it isn't worth cheaping out on the graphics card and you will not regret spending the extra money. For graphics design it is worth noting that perhaps having SLI Cards over a single 1060 could be beneficial for example SLI 980Ti's would be a good fit. I am sure the 1060 will do fine job however. Also an RX480 is cheaper and has more VRAM and is also a very good card.

Solution

DO NOT get an AMD card for your graphics design./video editing rig.
The graphics card just in itself does not help with editing. What does help is that most photo/video editing software is designed to use hardware acceleration with CUDA cores found in NVIDIA gpus.

For your posted needs you are perfect. The 1060 will give you plenty in performance, while the 1070s increased performance/cost-increase does not really make sense for your needs.

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

I apologise for mis-informing him, though i was unaware of that myself. also the PRO vs EVO, the PRO is faster read/write; but hey! don't just take my word for it, google it :).

Reputable
Jun 29, 2016

Agreed, i was just ensuring you were aware that it is actually capable of faster transfer rates, weather that is noticeable or necessary is a different story :).

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Thxmas : "$1700 AUD Graphic Design PC?"

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Thxmas : "$1700 Graphic Design PC"