[SOLVED] Budget x570 build: Asus TUF 570-Plus Gaming, MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, or Gigabyte X570 GAMING X?

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
These seem to be the 3 budget x570 boards available under $200 right now. I'm not planning on a huge overclock (if any). I don't need wi-fi.
Mostly I'm looking for a solid board to stick a Ryzen 5 3600 in with some DDR-3600 (hopefully o/c'd 3733) and future proofed for when I later update my old vid card.
I've been leaning towards the ASUS since the wi-fi version seems to be a lot of people's preference. As far as I can tell the only difference between that and the non-wi-fi board is no wi-fi.

Solution
I can attest to the Asus x570, has been solid so far without a single issue.

Ryzens don’t overclock like Intel. There’s little benefit and usually takes a constant voltage of 1.3v or more, and that’s not recommended.

But if you do decide on a heavy overclock you may want to step up to a mid-level x570 or wait for the B550’s due out in a few days.
These seem to be the 3 budget x570 boards available under $200 right now. I'm not planning on a huge overclock (if any). I don't need wi-fi.
Mostly I'm looking for a solid board to stick a Ryzen 5 3600 in with some DDR-3600 (hopefully o/c'd 3733) and future proofed for when I later update my old vid card.
I've been leaning towards the ASUS since the wi-fi version seems to be a lot of people's preference. As far as I can tell the only difference between that and the non-wi-fi board is no wi-fi.
If you are not looking to upgrade to 4000 series Ryzen and do not need PCIe 4, than X470 MBs would be better than x570 in same price range. With 3rd gen Ryzen all support RAM 3600MHz or more.

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
My vid card is quite old and I don't plan to update it for a year or two. I figure at that time PCIe 4 would be a good thing to have.
Also, x470 boards are getting stupidly expensive, so there doesn't seem to be a benefit there.

I can attest to the Asus x570, has been solid so far without a single issue.

Ryzens don’t overclock like Intel. There’s little benefit and usually takes a constant voltage of 1.3v or more, and that’s not recommended.

But if you do decide on a heavy overclock you may want to step up to a mid-level x570 or wait for the B550’s due out in a few days.

Solution

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
That may explain the availability of the x570 boards.
I just read TH's article from a few days ago and skimmed one from gamernexus.

I'm not 100% sure on how much I'd be sacrificing going to a B550. I suppose the real benefit will be with the budget chipset, the boards will probably sell for the same price ($100-200) but have more features.
And of course I'll need patience for boards to come out and reviews

Landstander

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2014
This thread died in a hurry. Thanks GarrettL, looks like that's the answer. Rather than wait a month while the boards show up, reviews come out, people start to figure out any hidden bugs or issues, maybe wait for a revision from the manufacturers, etc. , I doubt there would be enough money savings worth the wait.
TH's article says the CHEAPEST these boards might arrive at is $100. The boards mentioned here have some upgraded heat management, onboard audio, etc. I don't see how they'd get much better priced than the $165 for which they already sell. For $20-30, it's probably worth jumping now and keeping ALL the chipset features.

Edit: And while I was typing this the board went out of stock again. Sigh.