Buffalo Launching Portable BDXL Burner for $286

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A couple things:

- I strongly suspect the 2nd USB port is needed to get enough power to *spin* the disc at 4x; that recording speed is still only 144Mbits/s, so USB3.0 isn't going to help on that front.

- even at 4x, that's still an estimated 90 MINUTES to write a 100GB disc; for $57 a disc, I could buy an external USB-powered HDD of comparable size *and* get vastly improved write performance AND get a final product that could work with any computer (BDXLs don't work in regular BD drives).

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dark_knight33[/nom]Nevermind that. Compare BDXL to Near-Line HDDs. Multiple write, archive grade storage, fraction of the price. -> Win.[/citation]I agree, at that price, might as well get an SATA dock (USB 2.0, USB 3.0 or eSATA) and do backups on HDDs; it will be faster, it has more capacity, is more scratch-proof and is already rewritable.

G

I heard the same arguments and nay sayers when Blu-Ray burners first came out. "Oh, they're too expensive", "Why not just use a external hard drive?", etc. The first 50GB BD-R DL I bought was $50.

Why bother with USB 3.0 or eSATA when USB 2.0 can handle the maximum write speed. I wouldn't waste a USB 3.0 port on a drive the won't use it. Why not plug your mouse into a USB 3 port.

This is paving the way for 4K TV and the next evolution of movies to be available. Many say streaming solutions will kill media, but I don't now how NetFlix plans on streaming Dolby TruHD and 4K resolution. As it is, they compress a 50GB movies down to 3-4 gb.

I see this as a welcome step towards to future.

Naysayers:
CD costs more than cassettes
US Robotics 14.4 Courier Host is the fastest modem you ever need.
DVDs are more expensive than VHS
The first 1GB drive I ever saw was $999.
The first 42" Plasma TV I saw at a Tweeter was $20,000. People said they'd never catch on. Now Zeke's buying 50"+ at Walmart.

Blah blah...
Nay saying = FAIL.
The new tech is always coming. Embrace it. Welcome it.

Status
Not open for further replies.