[SOLVED] buffer underrun audio issues with better internet?

May 1, 2020
So I basically setup a new mesh network and now for some reason the my audio is starting have popping and weird stuttering sounds when im watching youtube videos. I disabled internet protocol 6 because someone said that fixed it for them. And it kind of did but I do still get some of those audio pops. Wondering if anyone has a fix for this. I have a realtek wifi adapter which im using for my internet which is about 5 years old. This seems to obviously be the root of my problems but I don't want to buy a new one since im getting wired internet in about 2 months or so anyways.

Solution
I just posted that all in one post so you had a next step if the ethernet tested bad.

Since it works on powerline it has to be the wifi. Wifi unfortunately has almost no diagnostics. You have few options. You update the wifi drivers if there are any. Make sure you have manufacture wifi drivers rather than generic microsoft ones. Microsoft has been known to force crap drivers in when they patch the OS unless you turn the feature off. You can try changing the wifi channels but since it has issues sitting next to the router it is not as likely to be interference since your router should over power it that close.

At some point you blindly replace the wifi card.

If powerline works that maybe your best option. Wifi always...
What happens if you turn off the remote units and connect directly to the main router.

Mesh like any repeater system suffers from having multiple wifi singals that can be interfered with. Generally it is not bad enough to see on video/audio mostly it is a gamer thing. If you get lots of packet loss or delays it can have the symptoms you describe.

Best would be to try it on a ethernet cable to be sure it was a wifi things and not some issue with the internet connection itself.

May 1, 2020
What happens if you turn off the remote units and connect directly to the main router.

Mesh like any repeater system suffers from having multiple wifi singals that can be interfered with. Generally it is not bad enough to see on video/audio mostly it is a gamer thing. If you get lots of packet loss or delays it can have the symptoms you describe.

Best would be to try it on a ethernet cable to be sure it was a wifi things and not some issue with the internet connection itself.
So I had already tried what you are saying about a week ago. I got sick of my bad connection upstairs that I moved my whole pc setup downstairs so that it was right beside the router room. When I did this I got the same exact issue.

You need to do some more testing then. If it does the same on ethernet then it is not a wifi card or driver issues.

I would let a constant ping run to some IP like 8.8.8.8 and see if you get fairly consistent times. A bad connection would show packet loss and variations of the ping times over 100ms. You can also try some of the jitter testing web sites.

If all that looks good I would start to suspect some audio driver or maybe a application issue.

May 1, 2020
You need to do some more testing then. If it does the same on ethernet then it is not a wifi card or driver issues.

I would let a constant ping run to some IP like 8.8.8.8 and see if you get fairly consistent times. A bad connection would show packet loss and variations of the ping times over 100ms. You can also try some of the jitter testing web sites.

If all that looks good I would start to suspect some audio driver or maybe a application issue.
So im on powerline adapter right now and I have no pop sounds whatsoever. I doubt its the audio drivers though since they have worked fine up until I have had this internet speed.

I just posted that all in one post so you had a next step if the ethernet tested bad.

Since it works on powerline it has to be the wifi. Wifi unfortunately has almost no diagnostics. You have few options. You update the wifi drivers if there are any. Make sure you have manufacture wifi drivers rather than generic microsoft ones. Microsoft has been known to force crap drivers in when they patch the OS unless you turn the feature off. You can try changing the wifi channels but since it has issues sitting next to the router it is not as likely to be interference since your router should over power it that close.

At some point you blindly replace the wifi card.

If powerline works that maybe your best option. Wifi always gets random issues even when it is working fine.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS