Bug: Collapsed forum supersections not remembered

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomizer

Champion
Steps to reproduce:

1. Go to the forum home page.
2. Collapse one or more supersections.
3. Reload the page or navigate away and then return.

Expected result:

Previously collapsed sections should remain collapsed.

Actual result:

They don't.

It is, I can't get on the .com site now and despite what Joe has said the .co.uk site is still very different and still doesn't work properly and with this new updated software I keep losing the ability to post for a seemingly random amount of time.

natcparis

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008

Hi Mousemonkey, can you please be more specific on
- the differences you see between the US and the UK sites
- what prevents you from posting, and how we can try to reproduce any issue you have

That will help a lot

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
I'm using the UK version with no issues right now. What kind of features do not work correctly on your end?
When you can't post, do you have an error message or your browser just gets lost in space?

Old forum .com site
oldforum.jpg

Up until a few minutes ago I was seeing this :-
ukforumnewfrontpage.jpg

And when I cant post I see this :-
postingerror.jpg

I had access to the mod section a couple of minutes ago so if that holds up I'll post a bug list over there with the rest of the chaps.

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

Just to be sure, can you try to log-in in stealth mode (Ctrl+SHIFT+P) and see if you have the same problem? This is weird on Firefox, I'm thinking on a cache issue or maybe a plugin.

I finally got my conformation email a little while ago and the posting issue seems to have gone away, I might try that stealth mode thing later though.

Hi :)

I have tried .com and get this >>>>

The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept
cookies.

I can only get to .co.uk (I am in the UK by the way)

When I try www.tomshardware.com it fails with the above message and the url changes to

http://www.tomshardware.com/community/reconnect?referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshardware.com%2Fcommunity%2Freconnect

Hope this helps...

Uk site is a little buggy, but US totally unavailable to me...and yes I have totally cleared cache etc

Using Firefox 19

Brett :)

lourson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

wow wow I'd recommend that you delete all cookies from tomshardware.com and tomshardware.co.uk and you try again. It seems there's something buggy in the connection process. Were you part of the beta?

Hi :)

I DID clear all cookies etc from both browsers FF and IE ....

Not part of BETA , but I was a Moderator until a couple of weeks ago...

I have also tried it from various different machines in the Computer shops I own and get PRECISELY the same result and error...

If I try .com I get that error from ANYWHERE/ANY MACHINE...

If I try .co.uk the site works although the sign in doesn't work although once in a sub section it recognises me lol...

That applies in any browser..I have even totally reset IF and FF ... same result... weird... lol

All the best Brett :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there Brett,

Are you doing anything funky with your hosts file, by chance?
I remember back to when some of the mods edited their hosts file to prevent the .co.uk redirects - just want to make sure you weren't in that batch.

-JP

Hi Joe :)

Yes, I WAS one of those (that altered the hosts file) and on this machine (home) its still in the hosts file.... BUT NONE of my shop machines have the altered hosts file and I still get that error on ALL of them as soon as I try .com.... but not .co.uk...

SHOULD they both work if in the UK ?

All the best Brett :)

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Later today we're rolling out a fix for some of the .co.uk redirection stuff, particularly as it pertains to news and article commentary. Brett, let's you and I check in again tomorrow and see if this is still a recurrent issue, and if so, we can work to resolve it.

butremor

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Hello again, I also have another issue i want to address. One day prior to moving new forum, i checked my badges and i'm quite confident i had 102 homebuild best answers, and after new forum i have only 62 total, and some of those badges i didn't even earn like gaming and applications - i've never left a single message in those two forums let alone got best answer.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there! Please be sure to look in the root of this forum subcategory for information on badges and the new forum update. Those FAQs should fully answer your questions. Locking this thread due to age.

Status
Not open for further replies.