Bug In Intel H87 Chipset Allows Ratio-Based Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
"Non-Z OC" definitely sounds like ASRock knew this was an option when they built their BIOS/UEFI for this board. I wonder if Intel knew about this bug and if ASRock could get in some trouble for implementing this. Regardless, this is a huge value-add for a lower end board and, as the article states, could make this board the best bang-for-the-buck for single-card gamers who want to tinker with overclocking.

this could end up being a great news for budget overclockers....
unless.
intel forces motherboard vendors to release a bios/uefi patch to lock down non-z o.c. intel hates o.c.ers.

edit:
could you guys test non-k core i5 cpus along with the core i5 4670k? i know intel locked out non-k cpus off bclk o.c. but they also locked out h87 off bclk o.c. :)

audiophillia

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
haha. I just bought that exact motherboard. notice OC features in the bios and asked about it on the forums. everyone assured me I could not OC on my h87 performance board.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
The price difference between an H87 and Z87 amount to about 1% of the budget for a low end performance build.

You guys also sound like idiots recommending a 3770K over a 4770K juat to save $30. The haswell chip will give you anywhere between 5% to 10% better perfornance. Who cares if it overclocks an extra 100 Mhz for a given temperature.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
The price difference between an H87 and Z87 amount to about 1% of the budget for a low end performance build.

You guys also sound like idiots recommending a 3770K over a 4770K juat to save $30. The haswell chip will give you anywhere between 5% to 10% better perfornance. Who cares if it overclocks an extra 100 Mhz for a given temperature.

Sometimes I wonder why Intel even bothers to lock overclocking at all. It's only a very small group of people that even know how to overclock. Then of that subset only a minority of them are even willing to bother with it. I doubt it even accounts for more than 1%.

On the flip side that 1% probably accounts for half of computer sales from recommendations and constantly upgrading and expanding their collection. So why not make them happy?

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013

You severely overestimate your importance.

It was the 1% 15 years ago that are impacting mainstream sales today. Your opinion won't impact intel's name recognition for a good decade. All intel has to do is continue to be the best. Failing to please the 1% doesn't change the fact they are the best right now. You may complain about intel's pricing structure, but all the mainstream will hear is that they are the fastest processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.