News BugCheck2Linux Tool Offers Life After Windows BSOD

USAFRet

Titan
A BSOD crash is an indicator of "something is wrong. Human...please fix me."

Why would you want to keep 'running' the system, and not actually discover and fix the problem?

Especially given the limitations of this subsystem.

Reactions: artk2219

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
This would be useful for debugging. Unity loves to throw up BSODs for memory-related issues and during testing, each throw causes four minutes of downtime trying to debug. The last time I resolved a Unity crash issue, I threw twelve BSOD in a four hour fix. That is 48 minutes of waiting for my PC to restart, reload programs, and try again. Reducing that downtime by 20% is bad news for programmers that charge by the hour, but good news for indie developers and testers.

Reactions: Steve Nord_
May 18, 2023
Hi there! Yes indeed a bsod is used for indicating something horribly went wrong and one would usually avoid to keep the system running. The bugcheck callback is usually used by drivers to keep a record of what caused the crash probably used by device driver developers and possibly it might be used by some debuggers. Here I am just misusing the API

Steve Nord_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2022
A BSOD crash is an indicator of "something is wrong. Human...please fix me."

Why would you want to keep 'running' the system, and not actually discover and fix the problem?

Especially given the limitations of this subsystem.
How many scratch installs you got?

Because you maybe hit on the interesting bit you were hunting for. If you're fuzzing or buzzing memory protection or erstwhile DMA maybe you get the proverbial license number on a callback to a wrong ring. Also at least you could pull a little state out to see what wrong number was dialed (in a JIT engine like a Java or JS engine) otherwise, realize a little bad magic got pulled in as fine magic...

Steve Nord_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2022
"the system will only work on BIOS-based (not UEFI) systems"
Who still runs these?
Me. [Picture of hardware awaiting repair <here>.] That, you could get in a VM maybe. There's probably already advice at QubesOS not to, though? Hey, you're like 30 'this system has no official HP/Apple/Lenovo/Xiaomi/Predator/Framework battery...retina reader...and stuff' lectures away from installing netbsd fastboot.

Steve Nord_

Prominent
Nov 7, 2022
would be useful for debugging. Unity loves to throw up BSODs for mem...
Sounds like something that makes you want to rent a virtual cube in decommissioned Google game streaming or other virtual machine environment if not the cloud services (drawing blanks here...perforce cms? Like, hardened Android Studio??) developed for Unity devs.