Build a battery backup

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
I want my gaming tower on a battery backup I picked up a 1000va thinking it would work found that those are pretty week so I was thinking of making a realy nice one and maybe even get 5hours maybe more on a full PC load

First of all, how long it will last depends on how much power your computer draws. I know my PC at full load draws almost 1KW so I would require a ridiculously expensive battery backup in order to keep it powered for five hours...

I would recommend just looking around at higher models of UPS's (Uninterruptable Power Supplies)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Tesla or Daimler whole house battery? Don't really see it happening much cheaper on the small scale. There isn't a consumer market for such large battery packs.

Now an option is to mod a standard Lead Acid UPS and use external batteries. Take out the original batteries and wire up something like 4 semi-truck or deep cycle marine batteries. Still looking at +$1000 in batteries alone.

recommend checking out APC backup supply tool. It will give you a much better idea of what you are looking at. But this is going to be a $1,500 to $3,000 job and stringing it together yourself is likely not going to make it cheaper. http://www.apc.com/tools/ups_selector/US/en/

GraySenshi

Reputable
Apr 15, 2016
That's why I was thinking of making my own being its not going to be off the shelf as of like every part in my computer only micro senter has any of the parts and they still don't have a few of them lol