[SOLVED] Build a gaming pc!? That will works?

Ray Plays

Reputable
Mar 19, 2019
Hi dear Members!
I want to build a gaming pc, i'm looking for components, i found, but i didn't know, if i buy it & build it it will works?

The idea is:

motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair IV Extreme (PCI-e x16 2.0 - x5)
psu: Corsair RM650x 80+ Gold PSU (PCI-e Connectors: 4x 8pin (6+2) 650W
gpu: 4x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 Windforce OC 2048mb GDDR5 (With SLI cable)
cpu: AMD FX-8150 3,6Ghz 8 Core
ram: DDR3 (max 16gb) (IDK)

Did the psu is enough for those 4 gpu??
IDK, if this build is possible.... :/ (Sry for bad english)

Solution
uhm... the mobo is only support am3 or max am3+, wich cpu is better than FX.8150?

I would not buy an expensive motherboard for an outdated CPU in the first place. FX chips weren't great at release, and certainly aren't great now. You can get a Ryzen 3 2200G for about $80, a motherboard for as low as $50, and DDR4 ram that is reuseable for $40. And that is new, should be used ones out there for even less.

FX8150 was supplanted by the FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, and later the FX-8300. The 8300 and 8370 were lower power versions, and there were a few flavors of the other two, in both 95W and 125W models.

The cost in putting something together for quad SLI with such low end cards, even at the time, was and is a waste of money. You...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No the PSU is not enough, but also WHY?

Literally no reason to pick up an FX CPU, and if you were, there are better ones...

SLI isn't as big a thing as it used to be, and there are many single GPUs out there that can do better than even 4 GTX 760. Game support will be sparse with recent titles, and scaling has been pretty bad beyond two cards for a long long time. Only a few titles even worth testing with such a setup.

Suffice to say, no matter how cheap you are getting this stuff, it is too much. Better off picking up any cheap Ryzen chip and slapping an RX570 in it if you want a gaming PC.

I know the FX 8150 beats the FX 8300 Vishera on some single core marks but by very little (3-5%) and the power consumption of the fx8300 is around 25% less than the FX 8150, I had one a few years ago and it was good for gaming with a GTX 1060 6gb, no issues at all. That is what I would get as a single GPU or the GTX 1060ti for a am3 build with some decent DDR3 RAM, no problems with heat build-up, SLI stutter etc.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
uhm... the mobo is only support am3 or max am3+, wich cpu is better than FX.8150?

I would not buy an expensive motherboard for an outdated CPU in the first place. FX chips weren't great at release, and certainly aren't great now. You can get a Ryzen 3 2200G for about $80, a motherboard for as low as $50, and DDR4 ram that is reuseable for $40. And that is new, should be used ones out there for even less.

FX8150 was supplanted by the FX-8320, FX-8350, FX-8370, and later the FX-8300. The 8300 and 8370 were lower power versions, and there were a few flavors of the other two, in both 95W and 125W models.

The cost in putting something together for quad SLI with such low end cards, even at the time, was and is a waste of money. You would need something like a 1000W power supply to comfortably run that, excellent cooling in the chassis (a really large chassis at that), all for a performance level that is easily outmatched with less cost and less power draw. And usually when you cram 4 cards into a chassis they will overheat regardless. Have to be blower style to work somewhat well, and water cooled for best results.

If you already have a GTX760 and wanted to try out a second one, I could understand, but still wouldn't recommend. Four is a terrible idea. You could track down two GTX770, GTX780, GTX780Ti and be better off, or a single GTX1080 or GTX980Ti.

My advice, take whatever money you have available and find the best used single graphics card you can afford. If you still want to look at used CPUs, then the oldest I still recommend is Intel Haswell 4th generation stuff. You can pick up i7-4770 based towers for as low as $200-250.

Solution