Build a new PC or just buy a monitor for my laptop?

Oct 17, 2018
Hi,
I have never build a pc and want to but not sure if I should yet.
I currently have a laptop with the following specs:

CPU
Intel Core i7 4500U @ 1.80GHz (Dual core)
RAM
4.00GB Single-Channel DDR3
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics Family (Toshiba)
ATI AMD Radeon R7 M260 (Toshiba)
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB

I mainy want to do productivity work and programming at the moment, and the laptop screen is just 15 inch which I don't feel is enough. Laptop also slows down and somtimes just freezes.

I am a student and I don't want to spend anymore than I need to, in this case should I just get a new monitor and use it with the laptop and also increase the ram to 8gb?
or just build a pc from scratch?

I do intend to play flight simulator games on my system but not at the moment, maybe after a year or 2.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
with black friday and cyber monday deals going online soon. your better off adding more ram and getting a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. use crucial memory advisor to see how the ram is installed on your system board. some laptops it can be a stick of ram or it could be part of the mb. it also tell you the free slots you have and the max memory for your laptop. the monitor you buy now can be reused on the gaming desktop your build latter on. just make sure new monitor has hdmi and a display port. most gpu and monitor are going display port. low end monitors some time only have one port 9hdmi).
with black friday and cyber monday deals going online soon. your better off adding more ram and getting a monitor and wireless keyboard and mouse. use crucial memory advisor to see how the ram is installed on your system board. some laptops it can be a stick of ram or it could be part of the mb. it also tell you the free slots you have and the max memory for your laptop. the monitor you buy now can be reused on the gaming desktop your build latter on. just make sure new monitor has hdmi and a display port. most gpu and monitor are going display port. low end monitors some time only have one port 9hdmi).

Solution