Build a system - Over 6 months - POLL!

Purchase componeents over 6 mth period. Which first, second, third, etc?

• Processor, Graphics Card, HDD, Memory Mobo, Monitor 22 - 26\\\\\\\", sound card

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GPU, HDD, Memory, MOBO, Monitor 22 - 26, sound card, Processor

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • HDD, Memory, MOBO, Monitor 22 - 26, sound card, CPU, GPU

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Memory, MOBO, Monitor 22 - 26, sound card, CPU, GPU, HDD

• MOBO, Monitor 22 - 26, sound card, CPU, GPU, HDD, Memory

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monitor 22 - 26, sound card, CPU, GPU, HDD, Memory, MOBO

• Total voters

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Okay, say I want to build a system over 6 months, because my cash flow is limited. So, I purchase hardware here and there until I have all the components at the end of the six months. What would you buy first, second, third, etc....?

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
PSU, sound card, HDD, optical drives, case, buy those first, prices are always roughly the same, and you dont have to worry as much about a new product making yours obsolete. CPU, mobo, gfx card, ram, wait to buy those, prices fluctuate, and new products are released more often.

fender22

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
Idk if Any order on your poll is just right... Id start with parts that are just basic and that newgenerations and tech don't necessarily overshadow.. Here is a loose order.. HDD SOUND MONITOR PSU < thats a loose arangement and then all the in betweens.. Get the RAM CPU and MOBO twards the very end so that you are sure to have the latest GEN and also get them close together if possible so not to be stuck with a dead end mbo or something.. But if you buy at a time like now and go for C2D, you would be fine lenghening it out since new products won't be out for a while... Id say get the graphics last, because new cards are always comming out and you will want the latest and greatest for your money in your system... I kno some guys who bought mobo and/or RAM first for 939, then they got the PROC twards the end or recently and they have very limited selections for socket 939... All ended well though.. got himself an Opty..

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
Okay, say I want to build a system over 6 months, because my cash flow is limited. So, I purchase hardware here and there until I have all the components at the end of the six months. What would you buy first, second, third, etc....?

Leave the CPU last. Intel will sell Q6600 for $266 apparently, sometime in August or September.

In general, I agree 100% with the poster who said you should save the money and buy everything at once. Every single thing you buy now will be cheaper in 6 months, or a better version will be available for about the same money you'd pay now. Try adding that option to your poll, you'll see.

JuiceJones

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2006
None.

I strongly suggest you save up money, and buy it all at once.

Prices and products always change.

Ding ding ding.

Set back a certain amount of money here and there for six months, at you'll be able to get the latest and best deals at the end of it.

Lazarus7

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
I've gotta put my vote in for the wait and save option as well. It sucks (I know I'm in the midst of it now...only 2 months to go) but you will be better off in the end.

SmokinBarrel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll start setting aside money. I've been reading about those Q series Intel processors, and apparently they're smokin fast!! So, I think I'll wait, and upgrade at once. I also want to get a water cooler for my system. Time to go "big time"!

Stealth_JAG

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I am building my system over time right now and I am taking Fender's approach - Go with the most technically stable components first (case, sound card, power supply, HDD, etc) and the technical fast burner components (MOBO, CPU, GPU) last. I've been doing this since October and allow myself about $200.00 each month. This months purchase is the RAM. In a couple of months, I'll have my car paid off and I can spend a little bit more ($500.00 each) on the CPU and the GPU. I'll be done with the build by July and I'm looking forward to seeing what I end up with for $2600.00.

I totally understand the folks that say "save up and get it all at once", but I'll also defend the build over time approach. The guy that would have saved the $200.00 per month and bought his system all at once several months later does have one big advantage - warranty. With my build over time approach, If I have bad HDD from New Egg, I won't know it until I build the system and that might be 8 months after the purchase. It may be too late to return the item then.

On the other hand, you might be undisciplined (like me) and find it hard to put money aside each month and not buy something else with it while it accumulates (XBOX, MP3 player, 32 inch plasma TV, etc). With that human limitation, building over time has an advantage. You are getting your fixes for technology in little tastes at a time without feeling like you are totally depriving yourself of computer goodness while you save up. So I understand the pragmatic reasons for saving up and buying at once, but I still think buying in bits and pieces at a time has its advantages for some folks.

Rob

Malazan

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Buy all at once, unless you're like me who bought in bits because i would have spent cash on other things!

I did it over only 3 months though. Still did well by buying in the right order though.

Stuff like PSU, HDD, Opticals, Case - i'd buy those first, leave CPU and GPU until last. I can't stree that enough ESPECIALLY over such a long buying period.

Best advice is too wait though until you can buuy all at once though.