[SOLVED] Build advice for a few months from now

May 19, 2020
Good day all!

Currently I have a MSI GT75VR Pro-202 gaming laptop.
CPU - Intel 7820HK
GPU - GTX 1080
SSD - 512GB NVMe 2.0 SSD (OS)
HDD - 2TB HDD (storage)

I have 2 monitors connected this laptop:
Asus 1080p monitor as secondary and ACER XB270HU as primary connected via display port.

History:
I got this laptop because I had a job where I was travelling a lot. This is no longer the case and I would absolutely love to build another gaming computer.
I have been out of the loop for a while now and not entirely sure which route to take.

Games:
I mostly play Battlefield 5 and WoW.

Resolution:
I play at 1440p due to primary monitor.

Budget:
Minimum of $1500 upwards of $2500
I am open to prebuilt stuff like NZXT BLD stuff etc...
I do enjoy building my own computers and I've done it before so I am open to options.

Notes:
I'd prefer to go Intel because I am not a fan of AMD and their buggy drivers I've had issues with in the past.
I will go AMD if they are actually good now and within my budget/price range.
This build will be about 3 to 4 months from now so please consider this when suggesting builds or places to purchase a prebuilt system.

Also, would it even be worth the money to build a new system right now?

Thank you for any information provided :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'd prefer to go Intel because I am not a fan of AMD and their buggy drivers I've had issues with in the past.
I will go AMD if they are actually good now and within my budget/price range.

This build will be about 3 to 4 months from now so please consider this when suggesting builds or places to purchase a prebuilt system.

First off, AMD tend to be a bit buggy from a GPU driver standpoint -- and if you're looking at a $1,500 budget, there's really nothing worthwhile from AMD that's warranted, a Nvidia GPU would be the best fit on budget alone.

As for 3-4 months, you're best to wait and see how things develop. Intel's 10th "gen" CPUs are about to launch, and until there's definitive reviews on those, it's impossible to make a recommendation this far out.

On top of that, consider availability and pricing right now (in terms of supply)....those elements will likely be quite different in a few months. Whether better or worse, who knows.... Can only hope for better though, as prices are higher than they should be, components like (quality) PSUs are hard to come by, or vastly over priced etc...

Today, if you had ~$1,500 to spend (and I'm assuming predominantly gaming), a Ryzen5 3600 paired with a 2080Super would be the jumping off point I'd recommend.

May 19, 2020
Thank you for the quick reply.
Why not a Ryzen 3700X? Is there a small performance gap between the 3600 and 3700X or does the performance to cost ratio not warrant going with a 3700X?

logainofhades

Titan
Yea building today, I would do something like this.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card ($719.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1494.30
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-19 16:29 EDT-0400

Personally, I would wait, at this time, as 10th gen and B550 is coming soon.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Thank you for the quick reply.
Why not a Ryzen 3700X? Is there a small performance gap between the 3600 and 3700X or does the performance to cost ratio not warrant going with a 3700X?

No, the 3700X is a great CPU - the 3600 is just the jumping off point I'd recommend at $1,500. 6c/12t, great IPC.... it's plenty capable for gaming, and 12t should handle anything else reasonably well.

Depending on the resolution you intend to game at, the 3700X could make anywhere from a fairly negligible improvement (all else being equal) at 4K, to a measurable, if not too significant improvement at 1080p.

Obviously, you stated the budget could be >$1,500, so you can always improve from there.

There is supposed to be new Nvidia GPUs sometime this year.... and if you plan to wait already (so Aug-Oct range), you'll either have those for consideration too, or they'll be really, really close to launch.

May 19, 2020
What is the OC potential with the 3600 vs the 3700X?
What would be a better CPU cooler? The Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 Blue 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler seems a bit on the cheap side unless I'm being fooled by the price being so low.
The rest of the list looks great.
I've been watching lTT, Bitwit and Jayztwocentz a lot and reading reviews but there is a lot out there to catch up on.
The last system I built was an Intel system.
GTX 970
Asus Rampage IV Extreme mobo
Corsair 500D their older model that still had optical drive bays

My cousin bought this off me a few years back and it's still running strong.

Sorry for all the noob questions but it's been years since my last build. I want to do it right.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Agreed on the overclocking potential - Ryzen 3000 pretty much gets you as much as you could manually via PBO (assuming decent cooling & power delivery).

I'd expect even Intel's K chips to go the same way, given the new boost algorithms coming in their 10th Gen chips. If you want to manually overclock, Intel is where you can see measurable gains currently .... Ryzen, while unlocked, should really be left to manage it's own clocks*.