[SOLVED] build advice for a non-overclocker - Elite Dangerous

Yarberger1

Honorable
Apr 22, 2015
Hi everyone

I've posted a few times before regarding my upcoming build, so please forgive me for asking yet another question.

I am preparing to build a new rig later in the year. I'm holding off only because my case of choice - the SL600M - is coming out in a swanky black version in September (according to Cooler Master), and I want to have a look at it before deciding on the black or silver.

My question concerns CPU and motherboard selection.

I have been considering the Aorus Master, in large part because of (i) very good reviews and (ii) high quality audio (I won't be using a sound card in this build). I have also been looking at the i7-8700k, again because of the good reviews.

However, further reading has me second-guessing myself. I have never overclocked, and will never overclock, any aspect of my system.

What I want is a PC which will allow me to play Elite Dangerous on ultra settings (no VR), using an Asus ROG PG279Q monitor at 1440/165Hz and a GTX 2070 GPU. The system will otherwise be used for more mundane tasks (office applications, surfing, streaming, etc). If I am not overclocking, are there more suitable motherboard/cpu combinations which will give me a fast system foundation 'out of the box'? I will also be purchasing Trident Z DDR4-3200 memory, either 16 or 32GB, and I intend to utilize a Samsung M.2 970 Pro drive which will house my OS and the game itself.

Many thanks.

Solution
If you are not going to build till September, then you really should wait too look until then. AMD will be releasing a 7nm CPUs this summer and Intel is supposed to release their 10nm by the end of the year.

Rumors are these CPUs will be pretty good. So I would wait till we know performance and price before planning out a build.
If you are not going to build till September, then you really should wait too look until then. AMD will be releasing a 7nm CPUs this summer and Intel is supposed to release their 10nm by the end of the year.

Rumors are these CPUs will be pretty good. So I would wait till we know performance and price before planning out a build.

Reactions: Yarberger1
Solution
For price vs performance, it is hard to recommend anything other than the Ryzen 2600 and a decent b450 board. I like the MSI Tomahawk b450. Intel CPUs are a little better for gaming, but they cost a good bit more.

For example, Intel's top mainstream CPU (9900k) cost about $500 and it will get about 10% better fps in games than the 2600 which cost ($170). See the performance summary here:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i9_9900K/19.html

So it really depends on how much you want to spend on that extra 10%. Elite Dangerous is not a demanding game and at 1440p, the CPU matters even less.

Reactions: Yarberger1