[SOLVED] Build advice- looking for options

3N0

Oct 29, 2020
Eh guys- sort of new here but not new to PC builds. Doesn't mean I'm good at them- but I do a little better each time.

I'm working through my new build with a Cooler Master H500, an AORUS Z470 board and an NZXT X63 AIO. I'd planned on running the radiator across the top but the fans were cramped onto a shield on the mobo... I trimmed the fan thinking that was easy but then noticed they were also cramping the RAM slots- needless to say I'm thinking the top mount isn't going to be an option. I "suppose" I could mount the fans externally on the roof but- let's call that plan D.

So we're looking at a front mount (yes, tubes down)- many of you familiar with the H500 will know there are 2x200 mm fans in front- and 200mm fans are good for moving good air through clear spaces but not so much through radiators. My initial thoughts are to pull air through the rad using the 2 stock NZXT 140mm fans and leaving the 200mm fans in place since they're big and beautiful and glorious if only to look at.

I'm not looking for luscious overclocking benchmarks- so I'm not expecting a HUGE amount of heat... certainly some especially if I get back into folding@home. I'm not afraid of spending a little more money on some fans that are better suited for rad work... but if the NZXT fans pulling through the rad with the 200s pushing maybe that'll be sufficient?

If you encountered the same problem, what would YOU do?

Thanks.

Solution
You generally want to avoid having your CPU block to be at the "top" of the cooling loop with watercooling so that bubbles/air pockets don't sit at/in the CPU block. Obvious reasons why you don't want an air pocket inside the CPU block for heat transfer. But if you have any part of a hose or either end of the radiator above the CPU block, you're fine.

As far as the pump is concerned, that depends on the AIO. With traditional/Asetek design, the pump was in the CPU block, so the same concept applies. But there are now AIO designs where the pump is in the radiator (at various locations) so they may not follow the "not wanting air bubbles in the pump" guidelines.
Can you elaborate on your use of "cramped"? Are you saying you're physically unable to fit the rad+fans in at the top? Or just that they're very close to the mobo?

Edit: Ah, the H500 only supports up to 240mm rads in the top (from website)

I agree, put the rad behind the 200mm fans and use the included NZXT fans in a pull config.

Reactions: 3N0

3N0

Oct 29, 2020
Can you elaborate on your use of "cramped"? Are you saying you're physically unable to fit the rad+fans in at the top? Or just that they're very close to the mobo?

Edit: Ah, the H500 only supports up to 240mm rads in the top (from website)

I agree, put the rad behind the 200mm fans and use the included NZXT fans in a pull config.

LOL oh whoops... I didn't even read the Cooler Master website to see that- I'm actually pretty new to AIOs having installed the rather large Noctua NH-D15 almost exclusively since it came out. Hadn't even considered it wouldn't fit.

Okay so the front mount can still work... I might be overthinking it a bit.

One of the things that got me thinking about it was a comment made on one of the GamersNexus videos about how a front mount was a "no go." Tough to ask a question on those videos. I'm pretty excited about the build since it's my first in a few years and want to get it "just right."

You generally want to avoid having your CPU block to be at the "top" of the cooling loop with watercooling so that bubbles/air pockets don't sit at/in the CPU block. Obvious reasons why you don't want an air pocket inside the CPU block for heat transfer. But if you have any part of a hose or either end of the radiator above the CPU block, you're fine.

As far as the pump is concerned, that depends on the AIO. With traditional/Asetek design, the pump was in the CPU block, so the same concept applies. But there are now AIO designs where the pump is in the radiator (at various locations) so they may not follow the "not wanting air bubbles in the pump" guidelines.

Reactions: 3N0
Solution

3N0

Oct 29, 2020

Yeah I've been watching a bunch of videos on the subject so I've got that dialed in pretty well. I've left the tubes down on the rad- with the top of the rad above the block so the air should live far from where fluid is being transferred.

Another reason they give is the gurgling that can happen... also undesirable.

Thanks again guys