[SOLVED] Build advice needed

Mar 5, 2019
Hey guys,

I've been planning to upgrade my PC for a few years now. I currently sport a machine running on a 3.60 Ghz AMD FX-4100, 8GB RAM and a GTX 980.

Since The Divison 2 comes out soon and Cyperpunk is around the corner as well, I finally decided to pull the trigger and get a completely new PC.

I would appreciate any feedback, it's been a while since I've last built a PC - I am planning to use this computer for work and gaming (duh!).

PCPartPicker already indicates one issue which I am not sure how to solve - this is one of my main concerns. Should I just go with a single 2TB SSD (I want the 500GB one as a system drive and the 1TB one for games)

I could not find the monitor I picked on PCPartPicker, so I am linking to the manufacturer page:

PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Cf9FNQ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $525.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $155.00 @ Amazon
Motherboard | Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard | $289.89 @ OutletPC
Memory | Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $209.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung - 970 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $167.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung - 970 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive | $347.99 @ Amazon
Storage | Western Digital - Purple 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive | $116.98 @ B&H
Video Card | EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC GAMING Video Card | $1193.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case | Fractal Design - Define R6 Blackout ATX Mid Tower Case |-
Power Supply | be quiet! - Straight Power 11 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply |-
Case Fan | be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan | $20.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan | be quiet! - SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120mm Fan | $20.99 @ SuperBiiz
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $3100.79
| Mail-in rebates | -$30.00
| Total | $3070.79
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-05 17:29 EST-0500 |

Monitor: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predatorxb3

Please ignore prices as I am going to order all these parts from a local retailer.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Solution
I'd skip the surveillance drive, and find an HGST 4 TB...

And unless you intend 500 GB of writes per day, you might be able to save with an EVO drive over a Pro, but, if you intend much editing work, and/or 600 GB a day of downloads, then proceed with the Pro series, they are not as inordinately more expensive over the EVO as they once were.
(Might want to confirm that your particular board can run both M.2 slots at x4 PCI-e lanes for full bandwidth, vice the lane sharing which occurs with some boards...(If that does apply, then certainly you'd want a singe larger M.2 drive as you mentioned....; if no bandwidth issues exist with two of them, I'd prefer two at overall cheaper costs myself...)

As for a dedicated drive to install games...
I'd skip the surveillance drive, and find an HGST 4 TB...

And unless you intend 500 GB of writes per day, you might be able to save with an EVO drive over a Pro, but, if you intend much editing work, and/or 600 GB a day of downloads, then proceed with the Pro series, they are not as inordinately more expensive over the EVO as they once were.
(Might want to confirm that your particular board can run both M.2 slots at x4 PCI-e lanes for full bandwidth, vice the lane sharing which occurs with some boards...(If that does apply, then certainly you'd want a singe larger M.2 drive as you mentioned....; if no bandwidth issues exist with two of them, I'd prefer two at overall cheaper costs myself...)

As for a dedicated drive to install games, many have noted that there is no real noted speed increases in opening/launching games that are on standard SATA SSD over a NVME drive, so, you might be able to compromise with a 1 TB NVME drive for the OS, and a 2 TB SATA SSD...

Solution
Mar 5, 2019
Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Actually I think this might be the case with the mobo, PCPartPicker displayed some error and I do not fully understand what this is, it might just as well be what you're talking about and I might have to get a 2TB one instead, this is exactly what I was worried about!

I download around 200 GB per day and use the PC for occasional editing only, I was planning to use one SDD for system and the bigger one for games, I own the HDD already though. I was actually JUST thinking about getting a 8GB one in addition to that and switch to that for main storage, utilizing the 4GB drive for backups.

Very good point about 2TB SATA SSD, could even do 1TB instead actually if there's indeed little to no difference with game performance!