Build Advice, Sub 2500$ Workstation and Gaming

yakri

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2009
Borrowing the reddit/com/r/buildapc format for reposting.

What is your intended use for this build? The more details the better.

My highest priority is using this PC as a workstation. I do a bunch of stuff in Unity3D, Blender, GIMP 2, Visual studio, and various video editing software (haven't found one I like yet). Sometimes many of these at the same time across several monitors. For workstation purposes, I do plan to be working across 3 2K monitors eventually, but the PC hardware is my highest priority and I'm budgeting monitors separately and picking them up over the next 3 months (along with all other new peripherals I need).

I also have a huge number of large programs, as well as a ton of large files (mostly video files, but also local backups of entire game workspaces, etc) as well as (usually) local backups of some of those files. In my experience about 2TB not including a linux install is about the minimum storage space I need currently. I will probably swap my current linux HDD over to this new PC rather than including that in the build, as on linux I basically only do coding and only in more minimalistic text editors.

I will also be gaming on this PC, but gaming performance is mostly secondary to workstation/multitasking performance. Most of the stuff I do in Unity3D is VR related, so the performance requirements are quite high and likely GPU-limited no matter how much I spend. On the other hand, no current GPU is really sufficient so I'm probably upgrading from a 1070 to a whatever80ti next gen overclocked GPU when it's available.

My 1070 is in my current PC, and will be moving on to this new one rather than purchasing a new one.

I also stream/make youtube videos as a hobby, but while not a priority it's kind of hard to make a general high end productivity PC that can run games and not have excessive performance for these purposes.

if gaming, what kind of performance are you looking for? (Screen resolution, framerate, game settings)

2K @ 144hz, and VR (HTC Vive currently).

What is your budget (ballpark is okay)?

2500$, closer to 2000$ is mostly better but I'm ok with reaching a bit to fix a glaring issue, and don't want to go cheaper at the expense of workstation/multitasking performance, or future proofing.

In what country are you purchasing your parts?

USA.

draft of my build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($347.61 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.92 @ OutletPC)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.04 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Crosshair VII Hero ATX AM4 Motherboard ($280.84 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($429.35 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($184.76 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($326.08 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - RE 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($65.20 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-OMEGA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($163.03 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.89 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($138.02 @ My Choice Software)
External Storage: Western Digital - Elements 1TB External Hard Drive ($55.96 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $2133.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-02 09:37 EDT-0400

Note: I'm moving over a GTX 1070 from my old PC, and possibly a 7200rpm 500GB HDD for Linux

Provide any additional details you wish below.

My plan is for this to be a pretty solid computer going forward for the next 3-4 years, and I'm planning on upgrading my Monitors, VR headset, and GPU alongside this.

I'm relatively confident this is the build I'm going to go with, but I always feel a little nervous if I don't get some outside opinions on expensive PC builds in case I missed something dumb.

I will be overclocking the CPU, and am pretty comfortable doing so.

My experience level is mid to high, as I've built like 5 PCs previously, and I am a programmer/general IT guy.

I'm also picking up a hardcore surge protector (decent number of thunderstorms here, better safe than sorry), as well as an external optical drive for the odd OS install via amazon, but can't pickup the items I want on PC part picker.

If you're curious, my goal monitor is [this](https://www.amazon.com/PG278QR-2560x1440-G-SYNC-Monitor-DisplayPort/dp/B01N4ENDXR/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533167033&sr=8-1&keywords=165hz+monitor+gsync) monster (yes, 3 of them), but it's going to take about 6 more months for me to be comfortable affording them. Why not be more patient on my PC build then? Well I'm shit at being patient when I don't have to be, and it takes a fucking hour to bake lighting in unity3D and I REALLY need it to take more like <5 minutes (no, I didn't fuckup the options, trust me).

I'm upgrading from a PC built in spring 2011 that was on about the same budget, but with a GPU included back then, with a 1070 slapped on. So this will be a bit of a jump.

Lastly, although I'm not *super* into any particular brand over another, but I'm not opposed to paying more for any brand with better quality control.

Oh, and I only just realized it is a thing, but AMD's "StoreMI" technology might be beneficial to my build. Although It'll be hard to AVOID being in a position to use it unless I changed my SSD solutions, motherboard, and CPU.

I should probably also make a note that my intent for the 500GB SSD is to work on large temporary files there, then slowboat them onto the HDD later, as well as some project folders/workspaces (especially stuff with large files to move) whereas the 1TB SSD will be almost completely filled with my OS+programs.

Solution
I don't see anything really wrong with the build, but I would get rid of the arctic silver, as it is not needed, and grab a Cryorig H5, or better yet an R1, instead of the H7. I am assuming you want the 1tb ssd for game storage. If so, just go with a cheaper Sata based drive. Games, for whatever reason, really don't take advantage of Nvme speeds, for loading. Ram is overpriced. Unless that board has something you really want, I would go with something less expensive.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.85 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard:...

logainofhades

Titan
I don't see anything really wrong with the build, but I would get rid of the arctic silver, as it is not needed, and grab a Cryorig H5, or better yet an R1, instead of the H7. I am assuming you want the 1tb ssd for game storage. If so, just go with a cheaper Sata based drive. Games, for whatever reason, really don't take advantage of Nvme speeds, for loading. Ram is overpriced. Unless that board has something you really want, I would go with something less expensive.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.79 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - R1 Universal 76.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.85 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($150.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($169.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($189.11 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: Corsair - SPEC-OMEGA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($110.20 @ B&H)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($126.98 @ My Choice Software)
External Storage: Western Digital - Elements 1TB External Hard Drive ($51.49 @ Newegg Business)
Total: $1758.36
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-02 09:53 EDT-0400

Solution

TRENDING THREADS