Question Build Advice - Two PC builds

May 4, 2021
Hi,
I am looking to build two PCs for the office.

- PC1... General office use (Medium browser usage, Excel with sometimes very large sheets, etc. Rarely watching videos). This to keep a little more "contained" price. I am thinking perhaps AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or something similar for around the same price if a VERY SLIGHT increase but much better performance, then I am open to increase the price a tiny bit).

- PC2... Very high productivity for office again. LOTS of browser windows open at the same time, lots of office CUSTOM applications, very many Excel spreadsheets, watching videos while other applications are open etc). After reading a bit, I am thinking maybe AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X . BUT ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if they are right ones. Price wise, don't want to go too much (if at all) over those prices.

Need to buy them both asap.

Could you please advice which specs/parts and where to get them?

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: No idea what this is

Thank you :)

g-unit1111

Titan
I guess the question here is - do you need to use a GPU? Because if this is strictly CPU related tasks that you are going to use these PCs for, there's plenty of routes you could go where you could easily do without one. Especially for web browsing and Excel. What's your budget for these?

Reactions: Why_Me
I would do something like this...

PC 1...

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 5 5600G 3.9 GHz 6-Core Processor | €284.42 @ Amazon Italia
CPU Cooler | Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler | €54.90 @ Amazon Italia
Motherboard | MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard | €124.58 @ Amazon Italia
Memory | G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | €65.23 @ Amazon Italia
Storage | Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | €97.08 @ Amazon Italia
Case | Fractal Design Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case | €54.24 @ Amazon Italia
Power Supply | Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply | €79.90 @ Corsair
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total | €760.35
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-29 05:33 CEST+0200 |

PC 2...

For PC 2 I would wait for Intel new generation launching in about a weeks time and then weigh my options.

Bob.B

Respectable
Hi,
I am looking to build two PCs for the office.

- PC1... General office use (Medium browser usage, Excel with sometimes very large sheets, etc. Rarely watching videos). This to keep a little more "contained" price. I am thinking perhaps AMD Ryzen 5 3600 or something similar for around the same price if a VERY SLIGHT increase but much better performance, then I am open to increase the price a tiny bit).

- PC2... Very high productivity for office again. LOTS of browser windows open at the same time, lots of office CUSTOM applications, very many Excel spreadsheets, watching videos while other applications are open etc). After reading a bit, I am thinking maybe AMD Ryzen 9 5900X or 5950X . BUT ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA if they are right ones. Price wise, don't want to go too much (if at all) over those prices.

Need to buy them both asap.

Could you please advice which specs/parts and where to get them?

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: No

Overclocking: NO

SLI or Crossfire: No idea what this is

Thank you :)
Consider building PC1 around a 5600g.
Basic amount of ram and medium storage.
Once that is setup and running to your liking try to run PC2 stuff on it.
With a little luck all that will be needed is a little upgrading around the edges.

avg9956

Commendable
Apr 7, 2019
^ I second that recommendation on PC1
GPUs are very expensive right now, it can push you out of budget easily
If PC1 is purely for purely productive office work, consider a g-suffix AMD CPU instead of the standard ones. It will save your budget
That way you don't even need to buy a GPU for PC1

SLI or Crossfire:
No idea what this is
Don't even bother, it's ancient/obsolete and impractical right now due to GPU prices

PC2 - Well Ryzen 9 5900x or 5950x depending which one you want, the former is obviously cheaper but has a higher boost than the latter. The latter has +4 more cores.
GPU - entirely up to you and what's available, but a decent one and that doesn't hurt the budget is a Nvidia GT 1660 super, 6GB. Anything higher than that for your use case like an RTX 30 series would be out of bounds for your given use case.

I'm kind of hesitant to recommend waiting for Alder lake release. It feels like scalpers are looking to pounce everything that's coming new lately + current global chip shortage. The 12900k is priced competitively though. Neither can I guarantee that retailers will drop their Ryzen 9 5900x and 5950x prices to compete with Alder Lake CPUs. If you can get parts on a discount or a good deal at the moment, go for it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY