[SOLVED] Build Advice/Upgrading during holiday deals

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
So I was looking around at prices for different things and looking at upgrading my pc. My current pc is Gigabyte Gaming 7 MOBO, i5 8600k cpu, 1070 ti, 16gb ram 2133 speed, and a 850 wat power supply plat. and 3tb storage. I was looking at upgrading to the 12600k processor (possibly) since it wasn't super expensive and looked much better then the one I'm using. I wasn't sure what mobo to use I was mostly looking through things on amazon, but I also wanted to upgrade to 32 gb ram (and hopefully much faster) and possibly upgrading graphics and storage. I'm not tryna spend a "whole" lot but I got a budget of 3k plus whatever I get selling my graphics (if I end up getting a new graphics) if 1070 ti isnt that much worse then other graphics still then I don't really mind, and I also wanted to look at getting a monitor (I'm currently using like a 9 year old monitor 1080p 60hz) and a 720p tv to have two monitors. I don't play a whole lot, so graphics wise I can play everything I typically play on ultra, only game that I wasn't able to was the newest forza I couldn't play on too high of settings, had to take alot of settings off in order to get 60 fps

Solution
you got any recommended cases? Mostly lf smth not super expensive, but big enough to hold everything
These cases are selling faster than they can make them but they're a go to case for sure. They usually retail from around $120 - $130.

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-ii-mesh/

Exhaust fan for that bottom case.

or ...

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
First thing first, upgrading your RAM to 32GB might be a better option than upgrading the CPU.
That was definitely the first thing on my mind. If my cpu is still good for now i dont mind not upgrading it. It just looked like a good deal/looked significantly better then the one I was using. Been using this pc for 3 years or so now, it's starting to slow down overall so I thought doing a thorough overhaul would be wise. It still runs things fine, but I think my ram need's an upgrade asap cause on task manager it gets high really quickly nowadays.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
So I was looking around at prices for different things and looking at upgrading my pc. My current pc is Gigabyte Gaming 7 MOBO, i5 8600k cpu, 1070 ti, 16gb ram 2133 speed, and a 850 wat power supply plat. and 3tb storage. I was looking at upgrading to the 12600k processor (possibly) since it wasn't super expensive and looked much better then the one I'm using. I wasn't sure what mobo to use I was mostly looking through things on amazon, but I also wanted to upgrade to 32 gb ram (and hopefully much faster) and possibly upgrading graphics and storage. I'm not tryna spend a "whole" lot but I got a budget of 3k plus whatever I get selling my graphics (if I end up getting a new graphics) if 1070 ti isnt that much worse then other graphics still then I don't really mind, and I also wanted to look at getting a monitor (I'm currently using like a 9 year old monitor 1080p 60hz) and a 720p tv to have two monitors. I don't play a whole lot, so graphics wise I can play everything I typically play on ultra, only game that I wasn't able to was the newest forza I couldn't play on too high of settings, had to take alot of settings off in order to get 60 fps

GPU shortages are bad, but if you keep the 1070 Ti (Which is honestly serviceable still by far) you can stretch your budget a lot further and just play the waiting game.

So why not make your money go as far as it can, If you go with a new Intel chip you'll have to get a new mobo, then you can just salvage the rest (Storage, Peripherals, Ram, PSU), buy an extra 16GB's of ram (Unless you have 4 sticks then just stick with yours), then the rest of your budget (A little over 2k) can be split, keep some to hunt for a 30xx card just in case they're in stock near you for MSRP, drop 450 on a monitor and use your old 1080p instead of the TV As your backup monitor.

That'll give you a budget to get anything from a 3060-3080 if you happen upon one with some change to spare.

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
3060 or 3060 Ti is fine for 1080P. A 3080 Ti off of Amazon will run you $2250 atm.

I found someone in my area selling a 3080 ti for msrp so I ended up getting it (tested and it works) so now I'm just going to work on getting pc parts. I got a mid case rn, and I'm running a noctua NH-U14S. I plan on upgrading to a full tower case. With the parts you mentioned before, should I upgrade my cpu cooler? Also checking to make sure the 12600k is worth the upgrade to/or if I should stay or go to a different cpu. I'm glad you posted a gigabyte mobo I've been running with gigabyte since I started playin pc, and the ram looks really good especially compared to what I have now. Hopefully the speed difference will help because I've seen significant speed drops from when I first got these parts.

Reactions: Why_Me
I found someone in my area selling a 3080 ti for msrp so I ended up getting it (tested and it works) so now I'm just going to work on getting pc parts. I got a mid case rn, and I'm running a noctua NH-U14S. I plan on upgrading to a full tower case. With the parts you mentioned before, should I upgrade my cpu cooler? Also checking to make sure the 12600k is worth the upgrade to/or if I should stay or go to a different cpu. I'm glad you posted a gigabyte mobo I've been running with gigabyte since I started playin pc, and the ram looks really good especially compared to what I have now. Hopefully the speed difference will help because I've seen significant speed drops from when I first got these parts.
Your going to want a stronger cooler for that cpu. Whatever cpu cooler you decide to go with make sure it comes with an LGA 1700 bracket or check the manufacturers site to see if you can order one from there. Here's two to look at.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-bk022/p/13C-001F-00027
be quiet! 250W TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 $89.90

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001H5
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black $109.95

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
Your going to want a stronger cooler for that cpu. Whatever cpu cooler you decide to go with make sure it comes with an LGA 1700 bracket or check the manufacturers site to see if you can order one from there. Here's two to look at.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-bk022/p/13C-001F-00027
be quiet! 250W TDP Dark Rock Pro 4 $89.90

https://www.newegg.com/noctua-nh-d15-chromax-black/p/13C-0005-001H5
Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black $109.95
Honestly I'm fine with either of those. Is there any serious difference between the two you showed?

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
Both are solid and run quiet. I'd give the Noctua a slight edge but not by much.
Alright, thank you for all the help. It's been a while since I had looked at parts so I wasn't sure what to look at/what was good rn. Hopefully I'll be able to see some differences, especially in the ram department. Didn't realize my ram had such low speeds

Alright, thank you for all the help. It's been a while since I had looked at parts so I wasn't sure what to look at/what was good rn. Hopefully I'll be able to see some differences, especially in the ram department. Didn't realize my ram had such low speeds
btw here's a 1440P G-Sync compatible IPS monitor worth having a look at.

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
btw here's a 1440P G-Sync compatible IPS monitor worth having a look at.

you got any recommended cases? Mostly lf smth not super expensive, but big enough to hold everything

These cases are selling faster than they can make them but they're a go to case for sure. They usually retail from around $120 - $130.

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-ii-mesh/

Exhaust fan for that bottom case.

or ...

Solution
It's your call how much money you want to spend and how many parts you want to upgrade.

Not much wrong with the 8600 cpu perhaps just upgrade the ram to 32GB@3200 or 3600 along with the new gpu you have bought and test.

SinfulPride

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2017
Does this one provide enough room? The one I'm currently using is jam packed so I wanted to make sure I was upgrading to something bigger (although at least in terms of size comparison it looks bigger then the one I have) does it also have same fan support as the other one you posted? My old case I just used the fans that came in it, so It'll be nice to see the difference.
That's a pretty decent sized case.