Build advices for moderate usage

bishoy3

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
Hello!
I am looking forward to buying a new build that can give me some plans for future upgrades, mainly use PC for programming but sometimes android studio and other IDEs are just too unresponsive (or not even compatible)

Currently have:
CPU: Core 2 Quad q9650s 2.8GHz
RAM: 4gb ddr2 ram (that's how much I rarely game)
GPU: AMD r7 240 1gb GDDR5 version

I plan to keep only the GPU as this mobo is a 775

Wanting to buy:
CPU: Core i3-6100 Skylake
Mobo: Gigabyte H110M-S2PH
RAM: 8gb ddr4 2400mhz

Also any suggestions for a suitable psu? I think mine is faulty

Solution
What do you mean by the GPU bottleneck? If you get a 2200G or 2400G then it has integrated Vega graphics which are more powerful then your current R7 240.

If you aren't concnered with graphics and want multicore processing then use your current R7 240 and get a normal Ryzen 1st gen 1600 which are on sale right now I believe or you can get one of the new 2nd gen 2600 that have no integrated graphics.
Why not go with a Ryzen 2200G and compatible motherboard, it will give you a better graphics capability then the R7 240 and a stronger CPU then the 6100 all in one package. Plus it will leave you the ability to upgrade to a more power CPU down the line while the 6100 will somewhat limit future upgrading. The Ryzen 2200 G is about 100 dollars and motherboard maybe another 50-80.

As far as powersupplies the best cheap PSU out there is almost always a Corsair CX or CXM series, I would recommend a 450-500 watt.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not much sense buying an i3-6100, might as well go for the i3-8100 with a B360 board. Only going to cost you like $20 to go from a dual-core with hyperthreading to a straight quad core.

Ryzen is an interesting choice since it provides a little better upgrade path, and the onboard graphics of the 2200G are quite appealing. Though I think the IPC from Intel might be more beneficial to small scale software development. Maybe. Not sure if you are emulating android devices or not, or if you are satisfied with the R7-240.

I agree on the power supply. You could go smaller certainly, but the quality units really start at 380W and up. The more common 450-550W supplies tend to be about the same price. Hard to go wrong with Seasonic or EVGA these days. Corsair still has a few lowish quality units out there in stock. But their late model CXM supplies are quite decent.

bishoy3

Reputable
Jul 5, 2014
I am also a bit into the AMD processors due to its cores as for emulation (which I tend to use on my office desktop quite a lot) but almost every site advices intel as the more "safer" one in terms of heating, as the temperature here on average is going to be 37℃ room temperature.

However with the proper cooling, you guys think Ryzen 2200G? If so, any recomendation for a suitable mobo?

Edit: found this suitable enough for my budget
Gigabyte GA-A320M-HD2 Socket AM4 Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 5 2400G Desktop Processor

But wouldn't it cause any bottlenecks as GPU is comparably weaker?

What do you mean by the GPU bottleneck? If you get a 2200G or 2400G then it has integrated Vega graphics which are more powerful then your current R7 240.

If you aren't concnered with graphics and want multicore processing then use your current R7 240 and get a normal Ryzen 1st gen 1600 which are on sale right now I believe or you can get one of the new 2nd gen 2600 that have no integrated graphics.

Solution