[SOLVED] Build around an older Video card....

Zcuda

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
I am putting off building / buying a newer PC, to get back into gaming, probably until next summer when the prices settle down on the new Video cards & CPUs:
I would like to upgrade/ rebuild my current system around my video card, which ended up bottle necking my system and I just dealt with it because, I wasn't gaming as much anymore. ( yes it has been a long time since any kind of an upgrade on the system since this video card is bottle necking my CPU / Motherboard etc)

Ultimately I would probably keep this system for older games... or as a paper weight... LOL

These are the items I would likely keep in it:
EVGA SSC 6 GB GTX1060
755 W power supply
Samsung SSD 512GB 860 PRO
The rest of the items are way out of date for any kind of gaming.
Question:
What would be a reasonably priced Motherboard, CPU and Ram to best match the Video card? Not looking to try and get any new games until after I get / build one this next summer.

Thanks in advance for all your input/ time.
Happy Veterans Day to all our Veterans, Happy Belated Birthday to my Fellow Marines! Semper Fi.

Solution
I am putting off building / buying a newer PC, to get back into gaming, probably until next summer when the prices settle down on the new Video cards & CPUs:
I would like to upgrade/ rebuild my current system around my video card, which ended up bottle necking my system and I just dealt with it because, I wasn't gaming as much anymore. ( yes it has been a long time since any kind of an upgrade on the system since this video card is bottle necking my CPU / Motherboard etc)

Ultimately I would probably keep this system for older games... or as a paper weight... LOL

EVGA SSC 6 GB GTX1060
755 W power supply
The rest of the items are way out of date for...

EVGA SSC 6 GB GTX1060
755 W power supply
The rest of the items are way out of date for any kind of gaming.
Question:
What would be a reasonably priced Motherboard, CPU and Ram to best match the Video card? Not looking to try and get any new games until after I get / build one this next summer.

Thanks in advance for all your input/ time.
Happy Veterans Day to all our Veterans, Happy Belated Birthday to my Fellow Marines! Semper Fi.
What's your budget?
I would go with a B550 motherboard, Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB 3600MHz RAM.
If you want to upgrade next summer, you could keep the motherboard and RAM and get a faster CPU (Ryzen 5 5600x) and a beefier GPU.

Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Honestly, it would depend on:
  • Your monitor's resolution
  • Your monitor's refresh rate
  • If your monitor has FreeSync, GSync, or neither
  • What specific games you're looking to play
That last one can throw the equation off. Some games are rather GPU dependent, others less so and more CPU dependent.

The 1060 6GB was generally considered good for 1920x1080 @ 60Hz (thus 60fps) on average.