Build based on upcoming RX480

phife

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Hello good people,

after 10 years, i think it's a good time to upgrade. Wanted to do it last year, but i am actually happy i didn't. But that's another story. I'lly miss my Q6600 and 550TI, but i want to taste the good life now.

So i've done quite some reasearch on my own, but i just don't have the time to delve deep into the matrix, even though i really enjoy nerding out.

I work as a freelance graphic designer and photographer, but i love gaming as well. So that's the goal. I'd like to go to a 2560x1440 monitor (27") and at least 99% Adobe RGB coverage. I'll buy that some time later as i havent decided yet. I currently have 2 FHD 100% sRGB displays. (Only use one for gaming)

So here's a partial part picker list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hmGz8d (442$)

I've added what i knew i'd need, but it's up for discussion of course.

CPU: Waiting till October for the ZEN CPUs is one thing i considered, but i don't think it'll make much of a difference perfomance and cost wise. The Quad Core version would've been, but they'll likely ship 2017, and that's too far away.

Mobo: No i idea here. Looks i don't care too much about. Low profile preferable. mATX a must. I'd like it to be able to support OC well (not uber like the Maximus V3), have USB 3.1 support, CF (for the future) and Thunderbolt. Didn't want to pay more than 90$ for it.

GPU: I will -with high probability- take the new RX480. Cost and perfomance wise it sounds very promising. For my needs it's totally enough. Especially if OC'd. A 1070 or 1080 is either too expensive or in comparison with a RX480 just not good enough perf/dollar. Calculated 290$

Cooler:
Water Cooled is my preference, as i do like quiet systems, that can be OC'd quite a bit.

Ram: Picked one that's cheaper than most, while having good reviews.

Case: I'd like a mATX build with an aluminium chassis. Streacoms look fantastic, but alas, only for low power machines. So i'd go with a UMX3 Micro-ATX case, since it's from aluminium and looks nice imo, which is important to me. Just don't want some plastic sitting on top of the table. ~121$

PSU: I still have a BeQuiet 550W PSU, which is not modular (bummer) but was high end back in the days when i bought it. Not sure if i could use it in the new system?

No need for storage. Got that covered. 2 SSDs and one 3.5 HDD.

SUM: 690 Dollars (exVAT). My Budget is around 950$ (exVAT).

As a freelancer, i can deduct VATs immediately, so you can take that into account. At the end of the year i can deduct the whole price for the system. I do have other things i have to buy new, such as monitors, cameras etc, so i really don't wanna spend super much on a PC.

Notes:
VR and Crossfire proof for the future
W-LAN card would be nice if it fits in

Could you fine people help me out to fill in the gaps or recommend a different setup?

Kind regards and much thanks up front!

Phife

Solution

Since I don't know what model that bequiet psu is, I'm not sure where it fits on the PSU Tier list. I recommend a Tier 1 or Tier 2 PSU for gaming.

This is a Tier 1 PSU.

At the price point you are at for cooling, the Cryorig H5 Universal air cooler is a better cooling solution than the Corsair H60. Full...

phife

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2011
Thanks for the input. The Asrock looks good.

About the PSU. Is it advisable to get a new one for the new tech or will mine suffice? I don't want to cheap out on one and if the budget allows, i'd get one. I was merely wondering if the new ones are definately preferable to older ones, regardless of the price. Any Suggestions?

Does the cooling solution i picked suffice, or shall i look for something different?

Garilia

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2014

Since I don't know what model that bequiet psu is, I'm not sure where it fits on the PSU Tier list. I recommend a Tier 1 or Tier 2 PSU for gaming.

This is a Tier 1 PSU.

At the price point you are at for cooling, the Cryorig H5 Universal air cooler is a better cooling solution than the Corsair H60. Full disclosure, I'm not a fan of liquid coolers, usually harder to install, and I worry about water leakage inside the case if they break.

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal

The build below shows an NZXT Kraken lkiquid cooler working in that case. I put twin R9 380's in there to check compatibility for size. The 480's should be comparable in size, but will draw less power./

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($324.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170M Extreme4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($117.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $781.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-19 20:09 EDT-0400

Solution