Build Complete Build Complete, recap and minor issues

djbenji88

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Went to Micro Center Yonkers this weekend and picked up the below (minus the graphics card bought thru NVIDIA directly) PC. Just thought I'd share a thank you to all who helped in picking parts and offering advice. The build went well, but I did have some issues, listed below the jump.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor | $329.00 @ B&H
CPU Cooler | Corsair H115i 104.65 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $124.99 @ Best Buy
Motherboard | MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard | $159.99 @ Newegg
Memory | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory | $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage | Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive | $89.90 @ Amazon
Video Card | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card | $499.99 @ Best Buy
Case | Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case | $83.99 @ Walmart
Power Supply | SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $91.99 @ SuperBiiz
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $1529.84
| Mail-in rebates | -$10.00
| Total | $1519.84
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-08-05 13:28 EDT-0400 |

Issue #1: The MSI motherboard comes with a heatsink (heat shield) for the M2 SSD. The heatsink only fits on the 1st slot, can't be installed on the second. They provide standoffs for mounting the heat shield, but none of them fit the motherboard. Then when I put the motherboard into the case, the standoff screw hole was actually filled by a case rivet(?) itself, so nothing could screw into there anyway. I guess I can't use the heatsink, if anyone knows a workaround, that'd be awesome.

Issue #2: This was my first time installing a liquid CPU cooler, I thought it would be easy, but I had a hard time getting the clips around the hooks. The instructions weren't great so I watched a youtube video where the guy removes the hooks... ended up removing them, then adding them back on. My girlfriend had to help with latching the brackets onto hooks, she was really funny about it, commenting on her "tiny hands". Also, when the cooling block was getting knocked around, I did see some scratches in the copper, but that should (hopefully) be filled in by thermal paste and not be catastrophic.

Issue #3: The PSU comes with a 4+4 pin connector for CPU Power, but the motherboard needs those 8 plus an extra 4 pin. The PSU didn't have an extra 4 pin, so I left it off. I was trying to jam a pci 6+2 pin into the 8 pin for about an hour before finding comments online saying it's ok to just run the 8.

Issue #4: My existing PC is having a problem creating me a bootable USB Windows 10 drive, so I've only got the BIOS running.

Plusses: The case is fantastic, very very happy with it. Water cooling looks awesome, RGB ram + cooler is making me feel like I might be catching the RGB bug... please no! haha. Installing the radiator and fans was a lot easier than I thought. I have like NO SATA connections at the minute (will be installing my old PCs HDD in the future) which is insane. Having to connect HDD/SSD/Optical is a thing of the past! Did need SATA power for the pump, no biggie. Likewise, connecting USB headers used to be a pain in the neck. USB3 header and cables are super easy to install- the only other USB header was plugged into the cooler's water block.

Once I get Windows up and running I'll run benchmarks, cinebench & what else? Also, I want to OC, but have never done it before- I've heard someone say PBO so I'll probably start there.

more photos to come:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS