Build Critique and Suggestions

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
I would like to know if this is a good gaming rig for the price and for the gpu im probably going to get the MSI Geforce GTX 1070 founders addition or some other variation, but i just want to know if everything is as good as it can be for the price and if i could make anything better before i make the purchases, thank you.
http://pcpartpicker.com/list/tZRsYr
Btw im aiming for between 1300-1400 dollars for everything including the keyboard mouse and monitor i have in the build.

Solution
Not a bad build. A few notes.

- The Memory should be upped to 2600 or higher speeds. You can even get up to 3000Mhz for pretty much the same price as 2133 memory. Since you're going Z170 and a K CPU you might as well speed up the RAM since your build is designed for it.
- An M.2 Samsung Evo 850 SSD is the same price as SATA. You way want to consider it just to make cable management a bit better since it installs direct to motherboard. It won't be much faster however since it won't be a PCI-E SSD...just M.2.
- Watch when you order the WD Blue. Some are 5400RPM and others are 700RPM but both are labeled as blues.
- Check out the Fractal Define S case. Possibly better than the Antec and wicked for liquid cooling if you ever...

gondo

Distinguished
Not a bad build. A few notes.

- The Memory should be upped to 2600 or higher speeds. You can even get up to 3000Mhz for pretty much the same price as 2133 memory. Since you're going Z170 and a K CPU you might as well speed up the RAM since your build is designed for it.
- An M.2 Samsung Evo 850 SSD is the same price as SATA. You way want to consider it just to make cable management a bit better since it installs direct to motherboard. It won't be much faster however since it won't be a PCI-E SSD...just M.2.
- Watch when you order the WD Blue. Some are 5400RPM and others are 700RPM but both are labeled as blues.
- Check out the Fractal Define S case. Possibly better than the Antec and wicked for liquid cooling if you ever want to do a custom open loop and the same price as the Antec. Zalman make some nice loaded cases at good prices under $75. In the end a case is personal preference.
- Check out the SteelSeries Rival 300 mouse and Apex RAW keyboard. I've seen them on sale for $30 each and both are better than those coolermasters. I've found coolermaster keyboard/mice to be unreliable. I'd even take a logitech combo over coolermaster taking reliability into consideration, however the price of that coolermaster combo is hard to beat.
- AOC G2460PF monitor is about $30 more than that Acer and has Freesync on top of 144Hz. That's a great deal to get sync. It would however required an AMD video card so the new RX480 would be a good choice. The RX480 is cheaper than the 1070 however less powerful but at only $200 it's a steal. 2 of them in Crossfire for only $400 is beating the Geforce 1080. And the overclocking potential of the RX480 is smoking. If you're not scared to go AMD that would be my route.
- I'd also consider the quality of the PSU and up it a bit. Check the charts to get a better unit. Possibly also up the wattage a bit to support SLI/Crossfire. 750W would be nice. The EVGA B2,G2,P2 are always a safe bet.

Overall a very nice build with just a few minor points to consider. One major thing I'd consider is the savings by going with the AMD RX480 video card and using those savings towards a nicer monitor with Freesync. The faster memory is a no brainer and the same cost.

Solution

Dsdavis

Honorable
Jul 11, 2015
Thanks dude alot of help i think i might go with the rx480 crossfire but im going to look at some benchmarks first and im probably gonna use the extra for upping the psu and the RAM

gondo

Distinguished
Definitely check benchmarks first. rx480 may not be as good as its hyped up to be. June 29 is the release date. The price is amazing however and the performance has to be as good as nvidia. Amd is trying to win this generation war.

TRENDING THREADS