Build For A First-Timer + A Few Questions

nuttyjigs

Commendable
May 16, 2016
Hi! I've been lurking on this site and wanting to build a computer for the longest time, but I know pretty much no one who does so regularly, so I'd like to ask around here if this is a workable build for an absolute first-timer. I plan to build this in the beginning of June.

Preferences:
A long-lasting Intel-Nvidia build with an ASUS motherboard, at around $400-$800 give or take I guess.

Current Tentative Parts List:
Intel i5 6500
ASUS Z170A
MSI GTX950 2GB (Do I need more VRAM? Anything above the GTX950 suddenly jumps up in price as well. But maybe they'll be lower by the time I start?)
WD Blue 1TB
Kingston Fury DDR4 RAM 1x8GB
Corsair 200R case (Picking a case is hard; any other suggestions would be real helpful...)
Windows 10 Home 64 bit (I know there's a hate train for this, but it seems to work perfectly fine on our 5y/o PC)

Still Haven't Decided on:
Power Supply (with all peripherals in, how much power would I need, and what brand has good budget PSUs?)
Whether or not to get an AVR/UPS (my mom seems to want me to get a UPS, but isn't it kind of expensive? I have old AVRs from computers of years past, but would they still be reliable?)
Keyboard & Monitor (I kind of just plan to walk around the shop and buy whatever seems good)

System Purpose: Gaming at medium-high settings, hopefully can multitask and maybe screencapture while running games; I don't need extremely detailed graphics, but I do want decent framerates. Most recent game I plan to play would probably be Overwatch. I'm not into competitive / professional gaming. Um, I also start taking up Chemical Engineering this year, so I'd like it to be useable for schoolwork, but a 5th year told me they don't really use hardcore programs. I also draw on Photoshop sometimes.

I already have speakers and a mouse on-hand. I'm thinking of not getting an SSD yet because I'm trying to focus on keeping the budget reasonable. All the parts are to be bought locally, here in the Philippines. (I've never had overseas shipping experiences and I hear customs is corrupt so you're bound to be over-taxed. There's also the issue of handling and warranty) Overall price from PCExpress is a bit higher than when I put it together on PCPartPicker, but not by too much. But if anyone knows other good places to buy, please suggest ^ ^

Any personal building tips for a newbie would be greatly appreciated as well!

Hope I asked correctly! Thanks in advance.

VR PC-BUILD

Respectable
May 14, 2016
Here is the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($53.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card ($349.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 220 ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.49 @ NZXT)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $793.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-20 09:40 EDT-0400

If by any chance you can push your budget up by only $50 you can get a beast $400 GTX1070 which can last longer than you can imagine and handle anything you throw on it with ease.

Solution